Help with knowing sex of 5-yr old sulcata

cdennis1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Please help. We're trying to determine the sex of our sulcata. Lazzy is a 5-yr old sulcata. Here's a pic. Thanks!!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449946558.897842.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can tell by the jugular scutes its female . Not only that if it was a boy it would of let you know by humping everything . After a year a male would start flashing his junk . If your asking at five years old than you can rest assured its female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to see the tail to be more sure. The anal scutes look like the are starting to take the female shape.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can tell by the jugular scutes its female . Not only that if it was a boy it would of let you know by humping everything . After a year a male would start flashing his junk . If your asking at five years old than you can rest assured its female.

Not all males have large gular scutes, and not all males do all that humping and flashing. I've seen quite a few that never flashed or humped anything. Especially at a young age.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yep, not certain either, I had a 16inch sulcata that looked like a female, except his tail was just a bit to long. Well he is now 18 inches and his tail is longer, his anal scutes have thickened up and his gular scutes are still female looking. Lets see that tail.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
[Sorry to spam.]
That's some seriously nice weather I see in the background.
Half way through winter (complete darkness at 5pm) here in England & my gosh, how I'd like that sunshine!
[Returns back to cave.]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Not all males have large gular scutes, and not all males do all that humping and flashing. I've seen quite a few that never flashed or humped anything. Especially at a young age.
I'm just going off from what I've seen with my little males . Harry was about the same age as this guy when I got him . He humped everything . Dozer I was thinking female but he started humping things at about a year and a half old .

cdennis1

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks everyone. I will try to get a better shot of the tail tomorrow. She/he was being a little shy when I took this pic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm just going off from what I've seen with my little males . Harry was about the same age as this guy when I got him . He humped everything . Dozer I was thinking female but he started humping things at about a year and a half old .

Totally understandable. I've certainly seen them behave the way you are describing too. Its just that not all of them behave that way.