Help With Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Hunahpu said:
Another vote for an Ornate. The stripe on the back, plastron, and location would suggest it. Red wigglers are usually popular, healthy, and easy to get for food. I'd suggest a bromeliad or spineless succulent (like some aloes) for a vivarium.

I agree it COULD be an Ornate- but I think it could be a Florida as well...
I have tried feeding wrigglers- no dice. Same with mealies, which is what the woman said he was on. I don't really do Vivs. Haha.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
You over looked the gnarly nails on the back feet part. Yes, Florida boxes can have a yellow stripe, but they have normal Eastern box turtle nails. Ornates have nasty looking claws on the back feed.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
kbaker said:
You over looked the gnarly nails on the back feet part. Yes, Florida boxes can have a yellow stripe, but they have normal Eastern box turtle nails. Ornates have nasty looking claws on the back feed.

Next to my 3 toeds, and even my Ornate, his nails don't look that gnarly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's another vote for ornata. Floridas have their striped pattern almost from hatching.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I really don't understand why anyone would think this is a FBT. Are there a lot of them living in the wild in MO?

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
yagyujubei said:
I really don't understand why anyone would think this is a FBT. Are there a lot of them living in the wild in MO?

Agree 100% with this. Locality is important when IDing wild box turtle hatchlings, as their appearances can be quite similar across the genus. This limits the possibilities to T.carolina triunguis or T.ornata ornata. Due to the coloring of the carapace and the keel, this hatchling is an Ornate Box Turtle, Terrapene ornata ornata.

Status
Not open for further replies.