Help with ID please!

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I had a friend ask us to care for their box turtles for a while due to some family issues. If someone could ID these little guys it would help so I know what care sheet to go off of that would be great! It would appear that we have some maintenance issues to deal with for starters. I have never seen nails like this before...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406781605.815468.jpg
She said the larger one is over 3 yrs old.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406781654.188112.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406781668.892243.jpg

Thanks for your help!

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
This is their habitat they came in.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406782314.305532.jpg
:/

I don't know anything about a box turtle but I'm pretty sure I have some work to do. Thoughts?

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Oh my...I'm hoping these guys are young. I do see some beak and nail overgrowth.
For starters they need soil to dig in and some moisture.
Where are you located? Is it possible to house these outdoors at all?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Look like 3 toeds to me...but care for all boxies is pretty much identical. I would follow the hatchling care sheet for now, since they're younger and in need of some TLC. But, with these guys, add a low wattage incandescent bulb on one side for a little gentle heat. Temp shouldn't go over 85. Take them outside when you can....they also like short swimming excursions. :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You have a LOT of work to do. Start by getting rid of that hay and replacing it with very moist dirt (coco coir or sphagnum moss dirt) and leaf litter. A terra-cotta saucer for their water and food will take care of those beak and claw issues. Looks like they also have issues from waling on a slick surface. Replacing that hay with the dirt will help that. They need a wet warm environment, not a hot dry one so a lid on that tub or daily watering it down will help tremendously. They will not willingly eat that lettuce. They need proteins in the form of live foods. There are numerous posts here to tell you what to feed. Good luck and keep us posted! Oh, and those look like three toed or gulf coast box turtle babies. It is hard to tell from those pictures and the curly toes.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Look like 3 toeds to me...but care for all boxies is pretty much identical. I would follow the hatchling care sheet for now, since they're younger and in need of some TLC. But, with these guys, add a low wattage incandescent bulb on one side for a little gentle heat. Temp shouldn't go over 85. Take them outside when you can....they also like short swimming excursions. :)
Make sure it is a low watt, low light bulb and get them outside for some real sun twenty to thirty minutes a day!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and a much bigger habitat. That little thing is way too small. Once you get a hiding place, waterer, food tile and some plants in there, there's no room for the babies.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I've got the coco coir in the oven, cleaned the tub out, soaked them last night and this morning and have spring mix in the tub at the moment till I can get to the store!

The bigger one had bulges by his eyes when I got him but after soaking they went down. Is that normal?? His skin is shedding really badly is that malnutrition? Or normal?

There is a guy that will take one of my smaller tanks in for a trade on a bigger one for these guys so I will call him and see what he has available. What size tank do u recommend?

Am I looking at this like I do for my closed chamber leopards??

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Oh my...I'm hoping these guys are young. I do see some beak and nail overgrowth.
For starters they need soil to dig in and some moisture.
Where are you located? Is it possible to house these outdoors at all?

We are in Phoenix, Az. I was afraid to put them outside, we are at least 110 daily right now sometimes hitting 117. We don't mind building them an enclosure outside if that's what is best I just need to figure it out quick. They just don't look healthy to me at all. :(

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I've got the coco coir in the oven, cleaned the tub out, soaked them last night and this morning and have spring mix in the tub at the moment till I can get to the store!

The bigger one had bulges by his eyes when I got him but after soaking they went down. Is that normal?? His skin is shedding really badly is that malnutrition? Or normal?

There is a guy that will take one of my smaller tanks in for a trade on a bigger one for these guys so I will call him and see what he has available. What size tank do u recommend?

Am I looking at this like I do for my closed chamber leopards??

On a good start! Make sure you get them some sort of protein...they like wiggly kinds especially. Fruits are good too.

I don't know about the eye bulges. Shedding skin is probably because they were kept so dry. Try and up the moisture.

As big as you can get for tanks...75 gallon at least probably (don't do a 55, they're too narrow).

In concept, yes, very similar to a closed chamber, but not as hot and even more wet.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member

When you say low wattage do you mean a 50 watt?

Thanks for your help ;)

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
You have a LOT of work to do. Start by getting rid of that hay and replacing it with very moist dirt (coco coir or sphagnum moss dirt) and leaf litter. A terra-cotta saucer for their water and food will take care of those beak and claw issues. Looks like they also have issues from waling on a slick surface. Replacing that hay with the dirt will help that. They need a wet warm environment, not a hot dry one so a lid on that tub or daily watering it down will help tremendously. They will not willingly eat that lettuce. They need proteins in the form of live foods. There are numerous posts here to tell you what to feed. Good luck and keep us posted! Oh, and those look like three toed or gulf coast box turtle babies. It is hard to tell from those pictures and the curly toes.

Do I need to trim these claws or will they shave down on their own with stone in their environment ??

Thanks for your help! :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
We are in Phoenix, Az. I was afraid to put them outside, we are at least 110 daily right now sometimes hitting 117. We don't mind building them an enclosure outside if that's what is best I just need to figure it out quick. They just don't look healthy to me at all. :(

That's wayyyyyy too hot for a boxie. They hunker down past 90 degrees really. Take them outside when you can in the cooler parts of the day. Indoor will be fine for now, especially while recuperating.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Fruit on its way! And as soon as the store opens we will be finding some wiggly critters to stick in there! This should be hilarious! New experience!

Their skin looks very thin is that the way it should be??

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
That's wayyyyyy too hot for a boxie. They hunker down past 90 degrees really. Take them outside when you can in the cooler parts of the day. Indoor will be fine for now, especially while recuperating.

Lol, it's already 97 degrees! I guess they are staying inside!!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Also, while soaking, if you put the dish on an angle so there is a shallow end and a deep end they can swim around more. Boxies are semi aquatic. They LOVE swimming. My babies get a long tub that allows me to have water from 1 inch to about 5 inches deep.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Does anyone know if people keep Box turtles outside here? Or is this an inside turtle with our temps here?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Do I need to trim these claws or will they shave down on their own with stone in their environment ??

Thanks for your help! :)
They will wear down on their own. Just get a paving stone and some terra-cotta saucers. For water I would use the 10" and for food I would use the 4".