help with food

lawlessangel76

Location (City and/or State)
Oldsmar,fl

i have a 7 month old redfoot,money and food is really tight right now,what else can i feed my baby,i don't have pellets,leafy greens,vegetables,fruit i have 1 nightcrawler and 1 boiled egg,i know in a pinch,some people use cat & dog food,can someone plz tell me what brand,the type(like chicken,turkey lamb,no protein...etc)and how much,i gave her a hibiscus leave today and it was huge,she ate the whole thing...poor baby,on google it says they can go 3 months without food? I'M NOT WILLING TO TEST THAT THEORY😔😔😢😢plz someone help!

very worried tortoise mom

shanti

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!

I'm sorry about your situation.

If you can't buy any food for him, you have to "forage" and get what grows there: broadleaf plantain, mallow, hibiscus (flowers and leaves are great), dandelions (or alike), opuntia cactus pads. It's too early for mulberry and grape leaves, I guess, but they are fine too. Check what's growing around you and then look for these plants on thetortoisetable.co.uk if they are safe to feed. Maybe your neighbors grow something and don't mind to share.

Low-fat high quality cat food can be given as a protein source once a week (about 10% of his diet). You can't feed redfoots only the cat food.

Some grocery stores have overripe fruit, mushrooms or veggies/greens which are past expiration date or just don't look fancy but are still fine to eat, they might give it away for free.