Help with Determining Age Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles Area
I would like to ask for help determining my tort's age. As I mentioned in my previous post with this question (involving growth rings), I was told back in March when I bought Ari that she was about 6 months old, which would make her about 8 months (assuming I was given accurate information). Ari weighs 4 1/4 ounces (120.49 grams), and she is 3 inches long (7.62 cm) (the bottom of her shell from neck to just before her tail - the "plastron" I think). If this isn't the correct way to measure length, please advise and I will remeasure her as advised.

Below are 3 photos of her with a quarter next to her to give perspective of her size.

I would appreciate any and all opinions from the experts out there.

Thanks to Yvonne for setting me straight regarding the relevance of growth rings!

Best,
Kristina

ariwquarter3-1.jpg

ariwquarter2.jpg

ariwquarter1-1.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Without knowing the hatch date it is next to impossible to know for sure, but based on your pics I would say under a year most likely. 8 to 10 months sounds about right.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
dmmj said:
Without knowing the hatch date it is next to impossible to know for sure, but based on your pics I would say under a year most likely. 8 to 10 months sounds about right.

+1 i agree really hard to say..

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Thanks very much. I will not hold you to your estimate or seek a guarantee! Guess-timates are all I need. But it's nice to know that the person in the exotic pet store was somewhat accurate. I appreciate your time and response.

Best,
Kristina

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Remember that estimate is void in all fifty states.

And it only counts if the pet store person knew the age themselves.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Unfortunately without an actual birthdate. You can only get an estimate, humidity has a lot to do with the rings.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
@ Yvonne: Is the humidity a good thing or bad thing with respect to rings? Do Ari's rings look bad? See tort house set up below. I have been trying to keep the humidity between 55-65% - successfully in the enclosed and "cool" section of the house (lots of moss and coco coir layers soaked in water and sprayed several times a day), but not so much in the warmer part of the house without a roof. There is moss around most of the perimeter which I spray with water quite frequently, but I can't maintain a high level of humidity. And Ari doesn't appear to spend any time in the cool section, even though I have replicated the hide she loves in the warm section. I intend to layer the moss in the warm section to be more similar to the moss in the cool part - originally I thought that Ari would actually spend some time in the cool part! The best laid plans . . .

@dmmj - Dang, I forgot to read that small print . . . but it may not be enforceable in CA! :cool: Sorry but I'm an attorney - one of the few nice ones so I won't sue!!

tortoisehouse-1.jpg

warmpartofhouse-1.jpg

cool1-1.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Actually, you want just the opposite :D The cool area should be drier. Hot + humid = good, cool + wet = respiratory infections and other health problems.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Oy - no wonder Ari doesn't want to go in there! My tortoise is much smarter than I am!! Thanks for the advice, my long-lost twin :D Looks like I have a new "remodeling" project!!

Best,
Kristina

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
kyryah said:
Actually, you want just the opposite :D The cool area should be drier. Hot + humid = good, cool + wet = respiratory infections and other health problems.

Hit the nail on the head!
The humidity levels are ok but in reverse.. :D
Dont worry, we all get something wrong at some stage, if we were all perfect there would be no need for TFO :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
dmmj said:

I agree based on the visual growth and size.

Can you post photos of the plastron (bottom)? I'm curious about the subspecies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
GBtortoises said:
dmmj said:

Could she be an ibera cross ?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't see any Ibera, just Middle Eastern. The "problem" with the Greek complex is without knowing the geographic origin of the parents truly accurate subspecies identification is nearly impossible. This is especially true of Middle Eastern origin Greeks and many of the North Africans.
While it's always nice to know what subspecies of Greek someone may have, for care purposes it's probably more pertinent to be aware of what region of their vast geographic range that the tortoise is from. The three main accepted regions are: Northern Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and North African.
This is a bit less important when you're referring to captive born tortoises since to a degree they are more "adaptable" to their conditions.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
GBtortoises said:
dmmj said:

Hi dmmj. Sorry but I have been so busy and not able to spend time on TF. I just read your above reply. Ari is sleeping now but below is a picture of her plastron that I took a few weeks ago. Part of it is cut off in the photo. If you need to see the whole thing I can take a better picture tomorrow when Ari is awake.

aristummy.jpg

Below is a picture of her from above. I believe I posted this in a prior thread so I apologize for the repetition if you have seen this before.

arifromabove.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I'm curious to hear what you, Yvonne & GB Tortoises think about Ari's subspecies. If any other photos would be helpful, please let me know.

Best,
Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.