Help with breed identification!

ampuckett

Location (City and/or State)
Nicholasville
Hello all! First time posting and have something I DESPERATELY need help with! We (I teach in a public high school and run a vet assisting program for students) recently came into ownership of two guys (I think) that we need some help identifying! I have a hunch that one is a Greek but I'm so new to this that I'm not sure! I have researched for HOURS! ANY help will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_9390.JPGIMG_9391.JPGIMG_9394.JPGIMG_9395.JPGIMG_9396.JPGIMG_9392.JPG

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello all! First time posting and have something I DESPERATELY need help with! We (I teach in a public high school and run a vet assisting program for students) recently came into ownership of two guys (I think) that we need some help identifying! I have a hunch that one is a Greek but I'm so new to this that I'm not sure! I have researched for HOURS! ANY help will be greatly appreciated!
You got yourself a Russian tortoise, and a Box turtle.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
That Russian tortoise is going to need some nail trimming. His back nails are extremely long,

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You said..." (I teach in a public high school and run a vet assisting program for students)". So you teach about animals but you don't know what "species",? dogs come in breeds not tortoises.
Here's 2 care sheets for you to read, also you will need to have 2 enclosures, you cannot keep them together. Both species are cool to have, the Russian looks a little rough, but possibly you can do good by him...

Box turtles are super fun, and kept correctly they can be a lot of fun and personal interaction.
Here's a care sheet for your box turtle. Understand 3-toed box turtles require about the same as Easterns pretty much...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You said..." (I teach in a public high school and run a vet assisting program for students)". So you teach about animals but you don't know what "species",? dogs come in breeds not tortoises.
Here's 2 care sheets for you to read, also you will need to have 2 enclosures, you cannot keep them together. Both species are cool to have, the Russian looks a little rough, but possibly you can do good by him...

Box turtles are super fun, and kept correctly they can be a lot of fun and personal interaction.
Here's a care sheet for your box turtle. Understand 3-toed box turtles require about the same as Easterns pretty much...

ampuckett

Nicholasville
Thank you all so much! Both of these guys were just surrendered this week so we are still working on some trust issues with both of them. The box turtle has been handed down through several owners who didn't know how or didn't take the time to care for them properly. His nails are EXTREMELY long. He definitely needs some TLC. He's only started to come out some today. We're getting there!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you all so much! Both of these guys were just surrendered this week so we are still working on some trust issues with both of them. The box turtle has been handed down through several owners who didn't know how or didn't take the time to care for them properly. His nails are EXTREMELY long. He definitely needs some TLC. He's only started to come out some today. We're getting there!
Box turtles are kept in a different way than Russians. 3 -toed box turtles love water and will soak and play and swim. So make his habitat semi aquatic. This is Ginger, she loves to swim. This was last summer, she swims out to the fence board and the basks and swims all day
100_4261.JPG
these guys love being outside...
100_4240.JPG

100_4233.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just a word of caution...people are quick to point out long rear claws. But don't do any trimming on them until you know for sure what sex it is. Females dig nests so long nails are necessary.