Help! What kind is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardieterle

5 Year Member
This little guy (or girl- it's too little to tell which!) was rescued by my 8 year old from the middle of our busy road around 4 PM yesterday. It's brother (or sister) was hit by a car and smooshed flat. We know it is a tortoise but are trying to determine what kind. Rumor has it we have a neighbor who owns tortoises that laid eggs but we're new to the neighborhood & don't know who it is (door to door last night wasn't successful). It's a newly built neighborhood on the edge of Tucson, AZ so it could also be a native Sonoran Desert Tortoise, which are protected and require a license to own. We're between the desert & a dried up wash and with the weather changing it could have been moving from a summer home to a winter home.

Little about the tortoise- it's about 2.5 inches long. It's light brown and greenish/dark grey. I know it's a little dirty in the picture. I'll try to clean it up & take more pictures tonight. Any ideas would be appreciated! If it's a smaller tortoise breed (under 12 inches) we'd gladly keep it, but if it's a larger breed we just don't have the resources to care for it.

Attachments

• tortoise.doc
    159 KB · Views: 73

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a water turtle. It's probably a red ear slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), but I really can't tell until I see more of the turtle. Water turtles can't swallow food unless they are under water. He needs enough water to be able to swim, but he also needs an area where he can climb out and sit in the sun.

I might be wrong in my identification, as the back feet DO resemble little elephant feet, which tortoises have. So more pictures are in order, please.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Looks like a baby desert tortoise to me, but more pictures would be helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have WORD on your computer? The picture is in a WORD document and you have to click on the WORD link.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
shellysmom said:
Looks like a baby desert tortoise to me, but more pictures would be helpful.

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.