help! (sulcata flips over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan!
My sulcata keeps on flipping himself over by climbing up the wall. What can i do to prevent this?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
watch him for a bit and see if you can find what he was using to flip himself over and take it out or move it away from the enclosure walls. another thing would be to change his enclosure a bit, sometimes they get restless and a change of scenery helps. also make sure there is nothing for him to flip himself near his basking light or water dish, many torts have found their end there ):

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Try to put something along/ against the wall that he is flipping on like low rocks or something to distract him. I think the flipping is so scary! Good luck and keep us posted!

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Not much. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Keep an eye on him, Mine did the same thing for a while and eventually seems to have grown out of it.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
he uses the wall, climbs up it, and just flops over on his back. 4 times already!! im worried :(

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Is it like the glass wall of an aquarium? Maybe putting construction paper on the outside of it will help?

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
he used to be in an aquarium and now i moved him to a big 50 gallon blue tote and he does it still. he just climbs straight up the wall...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What kind of decor do you have set up for your tortoise?

I suggest having lots of things in the enclosures. If he has stuff to walk around he won't be so determined to climb the wall. You should put some clusters of rocks..small ones to walk over and some big ones that he can't see around. Put some potted or fake plants in there that he has to walk around. Make some mounds or hills of dirt. The more he has "to do" in his enclosure the less likely he is to want out. Also, having the line of sight broken up by obstacles will help get his attention off the wall itself.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
Team Gomberg said:
What kind of decor do you have set up for your tortoise?

I suggest having lots of things in the enclosures. If he has stuff to walk around he won't be so determined to climb the wall. You should put some clusters of rocks..small ones to walk over and some big ones that he can't see around. Put some potted or fake plants in there that he has to walk around. Make some mounds or hills of dirt. The more he has "to do" in his enclosure the less likely he is to want out. Also, having the line of sight broken up by obstacles will help get his attention off the wall itself.

what kind of rocks/ plants should i use for this?

Scott

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
crocididdle said:
Put some potted or fake plants in there that he has to walk around.

Just make sure whatever plants you put in there are safe to eat, because he will try to eat them. Wouldn't recommend fake plants for this reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.