Help - Stars left out last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Help! My hysband left my little starts out all night! :( I was out and he told me he brought everyone in. I went to put them outside today and they weren't in their inside enclosure. I realized immediately that they must have been left outside - and yes, there they were. I have them under lights warming them up. What else can I do? Do they need to go to the vet? I am so inexperienced with stars I don't know what to do!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They were damp - so I put them under their lights. No runny noses or bubbles. They are moving around a bit now. Should I soak them in warm water?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i would definitly do that. that is a great cure-all, and cant really ever hurt.

are they eating their favorite foods?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
No, they aren't eating - but they aren't that great of eaters in the first place. They will graze on the lawn which is why I put them out yesterday in the first place. Putting them in warm water right now...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am sorry for your worries. :( How cold was it last night? If it didn't freeze, they should recover. Another TFO member left her Sulcata out in sub-freezing temps overnight, and last I heard, Sandy was recovering and didn't seem to have any permanent damage. :shy:

I hope your munchkins are OK! I always set the stove timer when I put Taco out, or I get busy and lose track of time...:rolleyes:

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
I did this and it was like 29 degress F. I just put them under warm/hot with the lamp over them while i was blow drying them after 2 mins they were fine eating and nothing wrong

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They seem to be doing okay. It probably got down in the low 50's last night so it wasn't too cold. We have raccoons that grace my yard every night, so I'm just thankful that they didn't get eaten. My husband is getting the silent treatment for a day or two!

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
kimber_lee_314 said:
They seem to be doing okay. It probably got down in the low 50's last night so it wasn't too cold. We have raccoons that grace my yard every night, so I'm just thankful that they didn't get eaten. My husband is getting the silent treatment for a day or two!
Good news that they are responding well.
tsk tsk tsk @ hubby! I bet he feels awful!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
maggie3fan said:
You need to put your husband out all night!

Sounds good to me - he was banished to the guest room last night (but then we had an earthquake and I was sorry to be alone!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go easy on your husband. We've all done it. I don't know stars very well , but 50's for one night shouldn't hurt most tropical torts. I've got a friend whose sulcata eggs hatched in the ground and he didn't know it until he found a 4" in baby running around in the rain in the pen in the middle of winter in Riverside. It had to be a year or two old and it had been living out in the wild with no heat or care of any kind. I asked him to send me a pic. I want to know if its pyramided!

Keep us posted. This will be good for all of us to learn how sensitive they are. I hope they are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.