Help!!! Soaking Leo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
I need help. The previous owner of my tortoise never soaked or misted her. She was kept in a very dry environment. I dont want to give her a heart attack but I want to start soaking her. Please give me some tips? She is about 4 inches long and 2.5-3 yr according to her previous owner. I want to get her happy and healthy.

Please help me make her happy. Camilla need to get a soak. Please tell me the best practices.

Thanks

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't think there will be a problem unless you just splash water on her. She might try to get out.

but if you want to play it safe.

start low filling the water (warm) slowly little by little with a cup or something so that she doesn't see a wave of water coming

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not a proponent of forced soaking, even for hatch lings have you tried allowing her access to a water bowl and see if she will soak and drink on her own?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
HappyTortoise said:
I need help. The previous owner of my tortoise never soaked or misted her. She was kept in a very dry environment. I dont want to give her a heart attack but I want to start soaking her. Please give me some tips? She is about 4 inches long and 2.5-3 yr according to her previous owner. I want to get her happy and healthy.

Please help me make her happy. Camilla need to get a soak. Please tell me the best practices.

Thanks

I have read through posts on this subject. There are varying opinions by forum members on this question. I would also be interested in the responses from others as to why they believe what they do, and if the age of the leo makes a difference.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have one tortoise that would soak all day if he could...but the other three have to be on their own terms (usually by the sprinkler--water, puddle, dig a little then drink) so I leave a shallow dish in their yards and supply water each day in addition to the sprinkler (every other day--sometimes a couple times a day depending on the heat :p)

I have one of my guys who totally freaks out (like he thinks he is being drowned or something) if I try to soak him, so I don't want to cause him undue stress so I don't force him :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
since it came from a place that never gave access to water.. Id start with anice warm shallow soak,, maybe do that for a few days, then see if the tort goes to the water itself.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nothing much to add other than what has been said. What I would do if I were you is soak the tortoise at least once a day for about ten minutes. That's what I do with my young leopard tortoises and it works out really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.