Help. Sick box turtle

Jax Clegg

Location (City and/or State)
Belpre, OH
Sounds like a respiratory infection. Getting the enclosure temperature up to 85F day and night will help him shake that off.
That's exactly what I have the temperature sitting at now, do you know what a good humidity would be to help with his breathing? I don't want to get the tint to humid because I know that can backfire and make things worse too

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Cat food has too much protein content for tortoises, but I am not sure about turtles. I would say it would be OK for a couple of days or so to see if it would get the turtle to start eating, but feeding it over a long term would very likely cause liver damage.

Have you tried feeding it any strawberries? They usually like them.

You could also try going to a bait shop and buying some red wigglers (a type of worm) to see if those might get the turtle to eat.

Maybe try a minnow or some other type of fish. Chicken liver, heart, or other parts might work, too.
I tried strawberrys and I got worms from outside because we just had a lot of rain recently. He follows the bugs i try to get him to eat for a little bit but he hasn't shown any actual interest in eating anything so far and that's what worries me. He's not drinking water either. Even when I have him soak in a shallow bath he doesn't put his head under the water. I'll definitely try minnows tho! It'll be a close days till I can get him some but maybe fish moving around in the water will change his appetite. I really appreciate the advice

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
All day his eyes have been open but I checked on him a few minutes ago and they're swollen and have a white line of gunk on them, he's also mouth breathing again- it's like he seams like he's getting better during the day but he's bad again at morning and night but idk why

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you made his enclosure temperature 85F day and night like I suggested?

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Have you made his enclosure temperature 85F day and night like I suggested?
Yeah the temperature is staying at 85°. I still think it might be getting affected by humidity but honestly I have no idea. Also I've noticed his left eye getting better but the right one is looking worse now? His right eye has white Gunk under/in-between the eye lid and hes not fully opening that eye anymore

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I have bags of organic top soil, play sand, worm castings and sphagnum/peat moss that I can mix together and use.
Leave the play sand and moss out they are both impaction risks and the sand can irritate the turtle. I unfortunately can't really advice on what you should do with your turtle, since I don't know your area...

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Leave the play sand and moss out they are both impaction risks and the sand can irritate the turtle. I unfortunately can't really advice on what you should do with your turtle, since I don't know your area...
Ok I'll do that, I'm in Ohio right ion the Ohio river kinda in-between Ohio and West Virginia so I've been looking in wv too. I found a lot of exotic animals vets but nothing that'll take reptiles close enough to me. I don't have a license so I can't go anywhere over an hour away.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Ok I'll do that, I'm in Ohio right ion the Ohio river kinda in-between Ohio and West Virginia so I've been looking in wv too. I found a lot of exotic animals vets but nothing that'll take reptiles close enough to me. I don't have a license so I can't go anywhere over an hour away
No kinda in between......
Oh no, you are in West Virginia, they just call it "ohio" there. I was engaged to a girl from Belpre and went home with her to meet her folks...once you cross the Parkersburg bridge, you still aren't in ohio yet.....LOL just the other side of Parkersburg.

We went to Texas Roadhouse there...and told them my name was Re-`tard

Sure enough...." The Retards, party of two". Good, clean fun.....

WTTC and I hope your little guy is doing better! I figured I'd stay clear of your thread till your little one seemed settled.

How he doing?

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Oh no, you are in West Virginia, they just call it "ohio" there. I was engaged to a girl from Belpre and went home with her to meet her folks...once you cross the Parkersburg bridge, you still aren't in ohio yet.....LOL just the other side of Parkersburg.

WTTC and I hope your little guy is doing better! I figured I'd stay clear of your thread till your little one seemed settled.

How he doing?
Ik what you mean but no I'm in Ohio lol , I used to live in West Virginia and had to get a lot of stuff switched over when we moved to Ohio.

Also he's doing so so much better! He's refusing to eat so had to start feeding him with a syringe, he has been soaking once a day for 20 min and sitting in a toat with a humidifier that has medicine for him in it twice a day. His eyes aren't swollen shut anymore and he hasn't been breathing out of his mouth near as much. I've been mixing in de worming medicine into his food because that's what a local rescue recommended for me.

It's definitely been a struggle but he's getting better!

Sadly the rescue couldn't take him in and even told me they could get in trouble for helping so I've only been in with him once.

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH

How he doing?
What is wttc?

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Idk if you'll see this but I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who's been helping us. It means a lot and we just hit a new milestone in his recovery. He's finally eating!!! He's only willing to eat in the bath but I've got him eating blueberries and worms. We still have to force feed him to get his medicine down but this is huge for us! I'm so happy. He looks a lil dehydrated still because his eyes are still sunken in but they haven't been swollen or crusted in days and he hasn't been mouth breathing and no nose bubbles! A little wheezing once in awhile but this is a drastic difference.

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Idk if you'll see this but I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who's been helping us. It means a lot and we just hit a new milestone in his recovery. He's finally eating!!! He's only willing to eat in the bath but I've got him eating blueberries and worms. We still have to force feed him to get his medicine down but this is huge for us! I'm so happy. He looks a lil dehydrated still because his eyes
are still sunken in but they haven't been swollen or crusted in days and he hasn't been mouth breathing and no nose bubbles! A little wheezing once in awhile but this is a drastic difference.
Video of the lil guy, any name ideas??

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Idk if you'll see this but I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who's been helping us. It means a lot and we just hit a new milestone in his recovery. He's finally eating!!! He's only willing to eat in the bath but I've got him eating blueberries and worms. We still have to force feed him to get his medicine down but this is huge for us! I'm so happy. He looks a lil dehydrated still because his eyes are still sunken in but they haven't been swollen or crusted in days and he hasn't been mouth breathing and no nose bubbles! A little wheezing once in awhile but this is a drastic difference.
Glad to hear! I like to go with a human name of a child born in the same year as the pet. Some use regional names from the regions their pet comes from etc. And then there are pop culture references. What kind of name are you looking for?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Your turtle is very colorful. Maybe Sunny, for a name?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Congrats! So glad to see your little guy improving!

You are taking great care in looking out for him....thanks, it's good to see!

Remember, box turtles like lots of wet and moist...they aren't torts!

I look at a pet....and decide while looking..............otherwise it won't fit. He won't mind though.....OL

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Glad this handsome feller is on the mend…Ohio’s winters and spring can make it interesting with our turtle friends outdoors…I’ve witnessed all 4 seasons in one day, lol;) I feel like I spend all of September and October feeding my box turtles a varied diet with a tad bit more emphasis on vitamin A and I still have a few come up from brumation over the last couple of years with ear abscess or an URI. I think the warmer and unpredictable winters with drastic temp changes aren’t helping. As long as they’re still eating, I found great success with injecting nightcrawlers with Baytril 10% oral solution…especially with an ear abscess. I had some pretty large ear abscesses completely dissolve in a matter of a week once I started the treatment. Just a little tidbit. Anyways, hope he continues to improve!