Help - Rough and flaky shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
Hi guys,

I need a bit of help here. Houdini, my male redfoot is overall healthy and active except that his shell looks flaky, dull and a bit rough. At closer look, it appears like it's been abrased by sandpaper. However, when misted or wet, it appears normal. I was wondering if it could be that he's just shedding or if there is something wrong that needs correction. He's been fed with leafy greens and variety of fruits. He's got a big outdoor enclosure partly sunny and shaded, planted with hisbiscus, and a water dish where I soak him regularly with warm water and gently brush his shell to keep it clean. He's being raised along with his girlfriend Dora who's got an amazingly beautiful and smooth pitch black naturally glowing shell. Any advise will be helpful. Picture below

2ee33970.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Houdini was raised in a dry environment. There's probably not much you can do at this point, but you might try horse hoof dressing. Whatever you use, polish it all off after you apply it. You don't want to leave a bunch of gunk on the shell for dirt to stick to.

Renj

5 Year Member
Long Island, NY
emysemys said:
Houdini was raised in a dry environment. There's probably not much you can do at this point, but you might try horse hoof dressing. Whatever you use, polish it all off after you apply it. You don't want to leave a bunch of gunk on the shell for dirt to stick to.

thanks, but isn't that harmfull to the shell? I am not really very concern of the colour, I'm just wondering if it will return to it's ideal blackness in time. Thanks Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something like this:

http://shop.farmvet.com/Horse/Hoof-Conditioner/Hoof-Dressing-with-Brush-Corona

Its a lanolin-based clear ointment that provides moisture to the keratin. If you put it on, massage it in, then polish it ALL off with a clean cotton cloth, it will provide lubrication to the shell. Its not harmful at all, and being clear, doesn't change the color of your tortoise's shell except to make it a bit darker because of the lubrication. Just be sure to polish it all off when you're finished rubbing it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.