Help please! (bruise??? on shell?)

jjaymeza

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth
There is nothing a vet can do to help this tortoise. They will charge you a couple of hundred dollars and then do a "vitamin" injection which can be harmful or fatal.

Leave your tortoise at home and make sure it has the right temperatures, diet, hydration, and living conditions. That is what this tortoise needs and that is the best thing anyone can do for it.

If you want to meet the vet and get signed up so they know you, leave the tiny baby at home and take in a stool sample for a fecal check

I will make sure I to only do that I love my baby way to much for the vet to essentially kill him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do the people at Russel Feed and Supply start these babies? How often are they soaked, what are they fed, and what sort of enclosure and substrate were they in? Most people start them way too dry and don't keep them warm enough.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
How do the people at Russel Feed and Supply start these babies? How often are they soaked, what are they fed, and what sort of enclosure and substrate were they in? Most people start them way too dry and don't keep them warm enough.

Now being more experienced I may never buy from them again. Their tortoises are definitely not warm enough. I haven’t seen any of them being soaked and they are in a 30 gallon aquarium with green fake moss carpet. They have a hiding spot but with no temperature gauge.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
There is nothing a vet can do to help this tortoise. They will charge you a couple of hundred dollars and then do a "vitamin" injection which can be harmful or fatal.

Leave your tortoise at home and make sure it has the right temperatures, diet, hydration, and living conditions. That is what this tortoise needs and that is the best thing anyone can do for it.

If you want to meet the vet and get signed up so they know you, leave the tiny baby at home and take in a stool sample for a fecal check

Unfortunately @Tom is probably right about this one. Stick with Tom and keep asking questions, follow Tom’s advise if you want to raise a healthy tortoise. There are MANY wonderful keepers of your species here, but Tom is very likely to get back to you quickly and you can not go wrong by following his advise. Learn from him and people on this forum the proper care, build a good enclosure, feed the right diet, make sure your tort gets UVB either by direct sunlight (not through glass or screens of any sort) of a good UVB lamp either fluorescent tube or one of those expensive mercury vapor bulbs, cover the top of your baby’s enclosure to keep his heat and humidity from escaping into the room, keep that baby warm as I had noted before, and SOAK, SOAK, SOAK! At leadt 20 min, or ½ hr and keep that water WARM! Don’t let it cool down and your baby sit in cold water. Remember : cold/wet= not good! I am still puzzled by that bluish spot on his back, I wonder if perhaps one of our medical experts would chime in with their thoughts; @zovick, and Tom, Yvonne, anyone familiar with little tort’s innards, any thoughts on what anatomical structures are likely to correspond with this area, and why this color? Another wuestion for OP: did this “bruising just happen? Orbeen there from the day you got this baby?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just following along here on this thread, but I’m just wondering if the discolored scute areas are a result / signs of septicaemia? A few searches all come up with reddish areas on the shell. Just throwing this out as part of the discussion.

• Septicaemia: Signs include vomiting, lethargy, distinct reddish flush or tinge on the plastron or under carapace shields (except in angulates). Haemorrhages of tongue and oral mucous membranes occur, jaundice, and the animal drinks excessively. This is sometimes caused by egg retention/rupture, or gut impaction. Obtain veterinary help immediately.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It doesn't look like septicemia because it is too localized. Septicemia is a generalized infection throughout the body and would also be reddish in color, not bluish, and the red would be most noticeable on the plastron and marginal scutes.

The spots in question could be intestines packed with fecal matter or even the displaced liver showing through the thin shell of the baby.

You need to soak your tortoise in lukewarm water for 20 minutes daily. 2 or 3 minutes is definitely not long enough. This longer soaking period will help keep his intestines working and present food from becoming "stuck" in them (impacted). I soak my tortoises daily for 20-30 minutes until they are two or three years old.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It doesn't look like septicemia because it is too localized. Septicemia is a generalized infection throughout the body and would also be reddish in color, not bluish, and the red would be most noticeable on the plastron and marginal scutes.

The spots in question could be intestines packed with fecal matter or even the displaced liver showing through the thin shell of the baby.

You need to soak your tortoise in lukewarm water for 20 minutes daily. 2 or 3 minutes is definitely not long enough. This longer soaking period will help keep his intestines working and present food from becoming "stuck" in them (impacted). I soak my tortoises daily for 20-30 minutes until they are two or three years old.

Thanks for the info on the septicemia ... glad it’s not that for this lil Sully.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just following along here on this thread, but I’m just wondering if the discolored scute areas are a result / signs of septicaemia? A few searches all come up with reddish areas on the shell. Just throwing this out as part of the discussion.

• Septicaemia: Signs include vomiting, lethargy, distinct reddish flush or tinge on the plastron or under carapace shields (except in angulates). Haemorrhages of tongue and oral mucous membranes occur, jaundice, and the animal drinks excessively. This is sometimes caused by egg retention/rupture, or gut impaction. Obtain veterinary help immediately.

[emoji835]️[emoji839][emoji839]This is sometimes caused by egg retention/rupture, or gut impaction. Obtain veterinary help immediately.[emoji839][emoji839][emoji835]️ Or any serious untreated infection, or even less serious one but when tort is kept in bad conditions and too cold, fed wrong food, etc. and has substandard immune system

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
[emoji835]️[emoji839][emoji839]This is sometimes caused by egg retention/rupture, or gut impaction. Obtain veterinary help immediately.[emoji839][emoji839][emoji835]️ Or any serious untreated infection, or even less serious one but when tort is kept in bad conditions and too cold, fed wrong food, etc. and has substandard immune system

I’m sorry just out of curiosity I’m wondering what that means like how does it (egg retention/rupture) happen? I know the temps are good and I’ve done plenty of research on food and my torti feels heavy.