HELP. (not eating much)

Yjordan82

Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
This is my enclosure. I just got my baby Eastern Hermann’s tortoise yesterday and he doesn’t seem to be eating much, but not sure how much they eat. I wanted to know if there is anything wrong with his habitat. I have a fogger going basically all the time because it doesn’t seem humid enough for him. Attached are pictures. Please help and give me any pointers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Lots and lots of issues here…..
Remove that moss ASAP it does not do well, tortoises tend to eat moss. Change it to substrate such as coco coir, orchard bark. Leave the tortoise alone for a few days to settle in. Check on the tortoise of course. That humidifier will cause a respiratory infection with the open top like that. I recommended getting rid of that humidifier they don’t need to be moist/ wet 24/7 most of us recommend wetting substrate every so often as desired/ needed. Daily soaks will help prevent dehydration.
You are going to have to measure the temps with a thermostat under where the basking light is to make sure it’s not over 100 for the hatchling. They need it to be anywhere from 91-95 degrees. Humidity levels are required to be 70-80. Mine fluctuates but I do spray it frequently to maintain proper temps and make adjustments with plexiglass to help hold humidity with a raised garden bed. Different type of substrates also retain humidity more/better.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Another issue, that water bowl.. we do not recommend them because they are flipping hazards. Please get a plant saucer dish to replace for water and food. We also use black rock slates for food.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Other than that, you have yourself a beautiful hatchling. Best of luck. And we hope to see you continue to utilize this website for advice, and to post pictures of your little friend for updates!

Yjordan82

Albany, NY
Other than that, you have yourself a beautiful hatchling. Best of luck. And we hope to see you continue to utilize this website for advice, and to post pictures of your little friend for updates!
So, their is substrate under the moss. I just put that around the food and water bowls to help him get into them. What is the concern with moss? I ordered a kit through the website cbreptiles.com and they sent all the materials including enclosure, lighting, moss, bowl, substrate, fogger and food. The reason I have had the fogger on constantly is because it is not humid enough in the enclosure. How can I get the humidity up otherwise? The temp on the thermometer is around 70 when it is on the wall of the enclosure. I placed it under the heat lamp directly but idk how accurate it is because obviously the temp just keeps climbing the linger i leave it there. My tortoise did just eat quite a bit so that is a good thing!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
So, their is substrate under the moss. I just put that around the food and water bowls to help him get into them. What is the concern with moss? I ordered a kit through the website cbreptiles.com and they sent all the materials including enclosure, lighting, moss, bowl, substrate, fogger and food. The reason I have had the fogger on constantly is because it is not humid enough in the enclosure. How can I get the humidity up otherwise? The temp on the thermometer is around 70 when it is on the wall of the enclosure. I placed it under the heat lamp directly but idk how accurate it is because obviously the temp just keeps climbing the linger i leave it there. My tortoise did just eat quite a bit so that is a good thing!
They will sometimes eat the moss, and it can cause an impaction. Sometimes the kits, and things they sell for reptiles are not always the safe and best. We have to constantly modify our tortoises enclosures. We post on here through trial and error about products etc and then try to help others on here to prevent them from making similar mistakes.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
As long as there is not so much condensation l from the humidifier I assume it should be OK if temps are high enough. Do you turn it off at night when lights go off? Humidity and cold also can cause respiratory infections if its too cold in the air

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Here is what I keep my hatchling in with plexi glass on the top. I constantly check the basking side and cooler side to make sure its not dropping. My room gets warm in the winter with the heat on so it’s pretty easy to maintain heat in my room since it’s not a really big room.

Attachments

• E5AAEEF6-D70F-4AD8-A8E5-002457A76676.png
    E5AAEEF6-D70F-4AD8-A8E5-002457A76676.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 6

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
This is my enclosure. I just got my baby Eastern Hermann’s tortoise yesterday and he doesn’t seem to be eating much, but not sure how much they eat. I wanted to know if there is anything wrong with his habitat. I have a fogger going basically all the time because it doesn’t seem humid enough for him. Attached are pictures. Please help and give me any pointers!
Hello! Since you are asking for pointers, I thought I’d push this out to you. It has A LOT of information, but it is the best and most comprehensive care sheet you will find. Read through it a few times and ask as many questions as you need.

Good luck!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Large vivs are usually recommended for babies because its easier to control the temps and humidity. There is a lot of old information still circulating about tort care and, sadly, companies with little idea of it still selling unsuitable and unsafe equipment to make more profit. Many of us have made similar mistakes and had to make changes so you are not alone. There are ways of modifying your table either with plexiglass or a portable mini greenhouse placed over it.
If you use coco coir or one of the substrates recommended, you make sure the enclosure is lined so that moisture can't rot it, and mix water into it by hand so that it is moist but not wet. (Coir blocks have to be soaked to expand them before use so should be damp when first used, then it's a case of not letting it dry out completely). Torts can aspirate the water droplets from humidifiers which can cause RI.
The dial type monitors often aren't reliable, a digital thermometer/hygrometer placed at tort level will give you a more accurate picture. I use an upturned bowl or a stone about the same height of my tort to test temps under lamps. A digital temp gun is also great for spot checking temps around the enclosure.
Do you have night heat? Many of us use a che run through a thermostat to keep temps even at night and for extra heat when needed. What bubs are you using?
Most tort problems are caused because of things we do or don't do for them but If you follow the advice in the up to date caresheet that Mrs Jennifer linked and ask as many questions as you like, your baby should thrive.