Help New owner with question about baby turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So i have the opportunity to accept a baby 3 toed box turtle. I will donate money to the current owner for the care she provided up till now.

The turtle is currently the size or a quarter.

Should I raise this turtle or is it difficult?

I have a terrium for her/him and once she gets big enough she will go outside.

Or should i get one that is more grown?

Advice?

I am donating 40 dollars for the care and a hours drive.

I really would love to read up on this before the weekend....have any websites i can research baby turtle care?

Terra
[email protected]
951 258 4251

Attachments

• Turtles.jpg
    Turtles.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The most important thing to remember about keeping a baby box turtle is that they are SO SMALL that they dehydrate VERY QUICKLY! You MUST keep their habitat moist and soak them frequently. The mortality rate is very high with baby box turtles, but it is quite rewarding to raise them up. They become very socialized and extremely tame.

I keep my baby box turtles in a large plastic tub that sits on an angle with one end raised. Then I use Cypress Mulch as the substrate and pour quite a bit of water in the tub. The lower end is like a bog and the upper end is dryer, but still moist. There is a hiding place, a feeding station and a clamp light overhead for warmth. I feed them separately in a smaller plastic bowl with just enough water to cover the bottom, and not have the turtle strain to breathe. Then I put the food in the water and they eat that way. One day I'll feed a mixture that I make up consisting of water turtle pellets, fruit, veggies and cat food. The next time I'll feed them chopped up fruit, and the next time chopped up veggies. Then one day I'll feed them some sort of live food.

But the trick to keeping them alive is to be sure they stay hydrated.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.