Help - New Cherry-Heads Not Getting Along? :(

jayreyys

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Hi all,

My first time here and really would like to seek others help ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

Some context:

- Last Thursday I got a new cherry-head named "Charlie" and he/she seemed to adapt well at my home & the enclosure. Appetite is very good, will walk around a bit and loves to burrow after eating. He/she stays burrowed for quite awhile but seems to be fine.
20230929_083704.jpg

- Yesterday, I thought to get a new cherry-head as a friend to Charlie as I read they do well with a friend. The new one is called "Luca" who seemed mild and calm. Bringing him/her home, I introduced Luca to Charlie during feeding time. Charlie was a bit social and wanted to eat together, but Luca who seemed a bit hungry accidentally (I hope) bit Charlie's head which made Charlie retreat.
20231001_185017.jpg

- Today, Luca and Charlie had a waterbath together and they seemed fine, no other sign of aggression from Luca to Charlie.

- After that, I placed some food and Luca began happily eating but now Charlie refused to. I tried putting some food at a different place in front of Charlie and he still refused to eat. He/she burrowed and stared quietly before burrowing deeper.

Additional info:
* Both are between 6-8 months, bought at different stores (under the same branch/chain of stores).
* Charlie has a flatter shell, and Luca has a more rounded shell.
* I live in Malaysia, and general temperature is about 60 - 80 (humidity) and 29 - 31 degrees Celsius.
* Their enclosure - flooring made of coco-husk, water bowl, granite slates & overhead lamp of 10.0 (UVB), size: approx 1.5 feet x 3 feet
Screenshot_20231002_081912_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231002_081930_Gallery.jpg

Now my main concerns/questions:

1. Charlie refusing to eat even though he had a very good appetite before Luca's incident yesterday. I'm worried Charlie is having sudden anxiety or still adapting. Should I continue to house them together or what should I do? This is my first time taking care of cherry-heads.

2. I notice Luca is a little strange (or just due to my lack of experience) for a cherry head. He/she doesn't burrow at all. Last night after eating Luca walks around a bit and just sat down with his/her eyes open. I placed a wooden cover/dome over Luca and he/she eventually falls asleep. This morning I checked, same - Luca did not burrow and slept on ground.

Hope the visuals help ๐ŸŒป thank u very much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises are never to be kept in pairs. A little research on here and you would have found that out beforehand. Tortoises do not want or need a friend. Sometimes groups work but not pairs. Separate them ASAP!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Wherever you read that they "do well with a friend". Mark that as SPAM.
They are solitary creatures that often tolerate each other while still very young. But as you're seeing. Not always.
They need to be separated right away.

ShelledDreamer10

Melbourne
Was hoping to chip in here but looks like everyone answered already haha! But yep, you should separate them as soon as possible. โœŒ๏ธ

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

My first time here and really would like to seek others help ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

Some context:

- Last Thursday I got a new cherry-head named "Charlie" and he/she seemed to adapt well at my home & the enclosure. Appetite is very good, will walk around a bit and loves to burrow after eating. He/she stays burrowed for quite awhile but seems to be fine.
View attachment 362035

- Yesterday, I thought to get a new cherry-head as a friend to Charlie as I read they do well with a friend. The new one is called "Luca" who seemed mild and calm. Bringing him/her home, I introduced Luca to Charlie during feeding time. Charlie was a bit social and wanted to eat together, but Luca who seemed a bit hungry accidentally (I hope) bit Charlie's head which made Charlie retreat.
View attachment 362036

- Today, Luca and Charlie had a waterbath together and they seemed fine, no other sign of aggression from Luca to Charlie.

- After that, I placed some food and Luca began happily eating but now Charlie refused to. I tried putting some food at a different place in front of Charlie and he still refused to eat. He/she burrowed and stared quietly before burrowing deeper.

Additional info:
* Both are between 6-8 months, bought at different stores (under the same branch/chain of stores).
* Charlie has a flatter shell, and Luca has a more rounded shell.
* I live in Malaysia, and general temperature is about 60 - 80 (humidity) and 29 - 31 degrees Celsius.
* Their enclosure - flooring made of coco-husk, water bowl, granite slates & overhead lamp of 10.0 (UVB), size: approx 1.5 feet x 3 feet
View attachment 362037View attachment 362038

Now my main concerns/questions:

1. Charlie refusing to eat even though he had a very good appetite before Luca's incident yesterday. I'm worried Charlie is having sudden anxiety or still adapting. Should I continue to house them together or what should I do? This is my first time taking care of cherry-heads.

2. I notice Luca is a little strange (or just due to my lack of experience) for a cherry head. He/she doesn't burrow at all. Last night after eating Luca walks around a bit and just sat down with his/her eyes open. I placed a wooden cover/dome over Luca and he/she eventually falls asleep. This morning I checked, same - Luca did not burrow and slept on ground.

Hope the visuals help ๐ŸŒป thank u very much
Hello and welcome. Good advice so far. More here:

jayreyys

Malaysia
I see that you are in Malaysia
Any chance that you can keep them outdoors?
Your climate should be pretty decent for them
Hi, sorry for the delayed response - currently I'm living in an apartment, but will be moving to a landed home next year. Definitely looking forward to different enclosure options for Charlie and Luca ๐Ÿ˜

Btw, will they be alright to stay outdoors at 1 year+? ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they can have short visits outside when the temps are warm enough, but they should be more adult size, 8-10 inches before living outside 24/7. Besides, they do better as babies inside in a closed high humidity enclosure.
You do realize, they have to be separated now! You can't wait until you move to do this.

Reactions: Tom