Help Needed :( (ate a piece of tile)

lisdndo

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
This is great advice like humans sometimes if you’re backed up, have a blockage etc if you eat something like sausage and sauerkraut for example your gonna be cleaned out, something similar that would translate as a equivalent for a tort might be foods that would stimulate the bowels thus leading to diarrhea that might be what she needs to live it enough to push it out. She’ll be in my prayers 🙏
Thank you so much 🙏 🐢 I agree with you, it was great advice and at a moment where I was panicking and not thinking clearly it was easy to give into one of the options that the vet suggested instead of taking a step back to think of what you said, what would tortoises do in the wild? Nature designed things to be a certain way so yes, there are foods that are natural laxatives or that lead to diarrhea to expel something out. Romaine lettuce with aloe vera gel and the cactus is as natural as it will get for a sulcata tortoise 🌵 She pooped soft enough for it to pass easily and has since been pooping normal and eating so much 🙏

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you so much 🙏 🐢 I agree with you, it was great advice and at a moment where I was panicking and not thinking clearly it was easy to give into one of the options that the vet suggested instead of taking a step back to think of what you said, what would tortoises do in the wild? Nature designed things to be a certain way so yes, there are foods that are natural laxatives or that lead to diarrhea to expel something out. Romaine lettuce with aloe vera gel and the cactus is as natural as it will get for a sulcata tortoise 🌵 She pooped soft enough for it to pass easily and has since been pooping normal and eating so much 🙏
I'm happy to hear, that Cauliflower gets better!

I believe vet's advice to do a surgery was given because of risk assesment: a piece of sharp-edged tile may do serious damage to guts, like perforation, and bowel movements can make it worse. So it was a "game of chances".

lisdndo

Los Angeles, CA
Cauliflower is a beautiful tortoise, and I'm so glad you managed to sort the blockage out. Now you can enjoy a late birthday celebration - congratulations !!!
Angie
Thank you Angie, I hope that I can soon celebrate my birthday. I will say that her pulling through was the best birthday gift 🙏 I'll have a birthday make-up day and a celebration for Cauliflower to celebrate her health and her still being with us. It's just an excuse to spoil her with some grass and dandelion leaves 🐢💗

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I've been reading this thread and I'm so happy that Cauliflower has made such awesome progress. I love your enthusiasm in getting her the help she needs! She is lucky to have you!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I've been reading this thread and I'm so happy that Cauliflower has made such awesome progress. I love your enthusiasm in getting her the help she needs! She is lucky to have you!

Me too!!!!
I don’t want anyone to freak out but I might have a birthday present for you????
Ask @Tom first…
Ok here goes…..
Your gorgeous little Sully seems awfully “tall” shelled to me.
Could that mean she is a “Sudan” sully??
Wait for the pros to confirm…
Anyway it turns out…
I am wishing you the happiest birthday ever! Prayers are being sent for Cauliflower
(An AWSOME name by the way) to make a full recovery ❤️‍🩹.
God bless 🙏🌹🎈🍷

lisdndo

Los Angeles, CA
Aww thanks so much for this, I really love Cauliflower and she has been a wonderful companion and is part of our family. I never thought I would have a tortoise in my life but now I can't see life without her. I've been monitoring around the clock and have been consistent with continuing to give her the suggested foods. Thanks so much for the kind words🙏🐢💗

lisdndo

Los Angeles, CA
Hello all, Cauliflower passed more foreign objects today 😣 I truly think this is all that was inside her but I'll know by this weekend when she has one more x-ray 🩻 Here is a photo of her from today spending time in the garden with me.

Attachments

• 20240311154817_IMG_1096.JPG
    20240311154817_IMG_1096.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Aww thanks so much for this, I really love Cauliflower and she has been a wonderful companion and is part of our family. I never thought I would have a tortoise in my life but now I can't see life without her. I've been monitoring around the clock and have been consistent with continuing to give her the suggested foods. Thanks so much for the kind words🙏🐢💗
Same here. First one for us and she was a rescue...I mean HE lol
Such sweet and innocent little beings. I feel so content when I'm with my little guy. You're most welcome! 💜

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Hello all, Cauliflower passed more foreign objects today 😣 I truly think this is all that was inside her but I'll know by this weekend when she has one more x-ray 🩻 Here is a photo of her from today spending time in the garden with me.
She sure did chow down didn't she....sweet baby girl. At least she's getting it out. Hoping everything goes smoothly with the x-ray.
Thank you for the update! 🤞🏻😊

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I will 🙏 So far she's doing good and passed more foreign objects 😣
I would suggest that you try to check the areas where she might be walking,in future, in case she is making a habit of eating inappropriate things, otherwise this situation might arise again - maybe scraping the ground with a very small fork, or brushing it with a stiff broom - something like that.
Angie

lisdndo

Los Angeles, CA
I would suggest that you try to check the areas where she might be walking,in future, in case she is making a habit of eating inappropriate things, otherwise this situation might arise again - maybe scraping the ground with a very small fork, or brushing it with a stiff broom - something like that.
Angie
That's the plan for this weekend 🤞 Until I can get to doing that she's not going to the backyard. I take her outside to the front lawn since it's just grass but I am not risking letting her be in the backyard until I can do that because you're absolutely right, I know there are all sorts of things from pebbles to whatever she ate. I'll be removing every single small piece from her enclosure 🧐

lisdndo

Los Angeles, CA
Hello everyone, here is an update. Cauliflower pooped minutes ago during her last soak of the day and she pooped a piece of what seems to be a broken sea shell 🤦‍♀️ Yesterday she pooped a piece of aluminum can, believe me, I have no idea how she even found these pieces, I don't even drink soda or have cans in the backyard 😮‍💨 Her poop look healthy and looking more and more solid and her appetite is still going strong. She's staying very hydrated and antsy to get out of her indoor enclosure but I won't let her be outside until I can thoroughly inspect her outdoor enclosed area for every single small piece of anything that isn't grass or dirt. I have it on my calendar to do that this weekend but in the meantime I'm letting her get natural sunlight in the front lawn. There is plenty of grass that she can eat from and of course I helicopter over her because I don't want her wandering around or eating any more foreign objects. I *hope* that this is truly the last piece inside. I'll confirm at her next x-ray.

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_013524253.jpg
    PXL_20240315_013524253.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2