Help need ID in Virginia

Kara Kopek

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Well as you know I live in Va have all rescue torts and turtles.....still trying to make album.....well long story short drove 10 hours this weekend to pick up 2 rescue "Hermann's" supposedly 7 years of age one is in really bad shape. I'm bringing him to work with me tomorrow as I work at exotic vet....but honestly I know the female is Hermann's the male I'm unsure they were in deplorable conditions so I'm going to try to upload photos to be sure they are Hermann's and yes ones beak is awfully overgrown I'll be breaking out the dremel later....any help is greatly appreciate!!!!

Kara Kopek

Virginia
Female on right I believe!! Both starving and in need of major supplements I'm afraid first one may have severe MBD already!!!

forum id a.jpg forum id b.jpg forum id c.jpg forum id d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(I think your album problem is because your pictures are too big. I've reduced the pixels in these pictures so they'd show up here as pictures instead of as thumbnails, and your pixels were over 3900 x something. I reduced it to 1024x768 and they load quicker. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that's why you can't make an album)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Female on right I believe!! Both starving and in need of major supplements I'm afraid first one may have severe MBD already!!!

View attachment 178403 View attachment 178404 View attachment 178405 View attachment 178406
The first one is a male, the last one is a female. I'm not good at all with hermann/greek ID but @HermanniChris is an expert!
Also, looks like theres a little bubble or something on the females cloaca. is that right?
Have you read our care sheet for both Hermanns and Greek tortoises yet?
Its great you rescue torts. I live in MD so i'm not too far from you.

Kara Kopek

Virginia
The first one is a male, the last one is a female. I'm not good at all with hermann/greek ID but @HermanniChris is an expert!
Also, looks like theres a little bubble or something on the females cloaca. is that right?
Have you read our care sheet for both Hermanns and Greek tortoises yet?
Its great you rescue torts. I live in MD so i'm not too far from you.

Thank you for your response!! I actually already have a juvenile Hermann's that was dumped a few months ago but he's in good shape. These 2 just have me stumped.....but I will definitely contact @HermanniChris for sure!!! Thank you so much again!!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ok, they are both certainly Hermann's and are the Dalmatian subspecies (Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis).

They look to be healthy aside from the fact that they've been grown improperly. Hopefully there is nothing underlying and it is just cosmetic.

Kara Kopek

Virginia
Thank you so much for the information!!! They will have full workup but the conditions they were in were very poor so I suspect it's a bit of both!!!!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Your cute torts are in need of humidity. They are pyramiding. Please soak them daily in warm water.

And a warm welcome to the forum.

Kara Kopek

Virginia
Yes I have been thank you. They were just picked up as rescues a few days ago. I have been soaking them daily. They are having full blood profiles and radiographs today. I do have many other rescue torts these are supposedly 7 years old. I really needed help getting a definitive id on species. Unfortunately most of the pyramiding is now cosmetic and permanent due to poor care prior to my rescuing them. But thank you for your help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes I have been thank you. They were just picked up as rescues a few days ago. I have been soaking them daily. They are having full blood profiles and radiographs today. I do have many other rescue torts these are supposedly 7 years old. I really needed help getting a definitive id on species. Unfortunately most of the pyramiding is now cosmetic and permanent due to poor care prior to my rescuing them. But thank you for your help.
Sorry about that. :(