Help! Need Help!

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ok so I have an indoor enclosure for my russian tortoise. I live in NY and I would love to give him an outdoor enclosure but I'm scared it will get too cold or that raccoons or wild cats (we have many in my neighborhood) will dig in and get him. I need assistance and if there was a way to eat him outside I need to know about the enclosure. Like what it would be made of and stuff please help. Thx!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To ease your concerns a little, bring him in at night and only put him out when it's warm and day time. I'm sure now is too cold anyway. Lots of enclosure are made with cinder blocks. Lay down some fencing like chicken wire or hardware cloth fencing and lay the blocks on top, then fill with dirt and even leaf litter. Give him a hide too go into, some plants to go under and a water source. Be sure there is shade available too.

Oh and if your worried about something getting too him in the day time, cover the enclosure with the same kind of fencing that you put on the bottom. You can also make an enclosure out of 2x4 or 2x6 are even better.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
To ease your concerns a little, bring him in at night and only put him out when it's warm and day time. I'm sure now is too cold anyway. Lots of enclosure are made with cinder blocks. Lay down some fencing like chicken wire or hardware cloth fencing and lay the blocks on top, then fill with dirt and even leaf litter. Give him a hide too go into, some plants to go under and a water source. Be sure there is shade available too.

Oh and if your worried about something getting too him in the day time, cover the enclosure with the same kind of fencing that you put on the bottom.

Not to be a burden but how big and what would the walls be made of and can I see a pic

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what mine looks like.
fd4137fb08d7e6e98073ecaa3abc64d7.jpg

I already had the bricks, so that's what I used. Cinder blocks can also be used or you can make one out of wood. Some go as simple as using a kiddie pool.
Make it as big as you can. At least a 3 or 4 wide by 6 to 8 long. The 4x8 would be a better choice if possible. If you can go bigger then do so.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
This is what mine looks like.
fd4137fb08d7e6e98073ecaa3abc64d7.jpg

I already had the bricks, so that's what I used. Cinder blocks can also be used or you can make one out of wood. Some go as simple as using a kiddie pool

Oh wow that's beautiful! How do you keep from animals from geting in? And I go to school when it's warm so I don't feel comfortable just leaving him in there when I go to school. Like what if he flips over or gets eaten

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I think you can only taking them back indoor or built a "night box" and make sure they are in at night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in the city if chicago. I only worry about rats at night. But, I bring him in at night. As for flipping, there is enought plants, rocks, trees, and the substrate for him to grab ahold of too right himself. This area was already planted when I got my Russian. If you make yours in an area that is not already planted, you can put a top made of fencing over it too keep critters out.

Donatello

Hello i thot about just using my daughters old plastic baby pool since my yard isnt very big. Anyone have a good idea for a lid though, since we have some wild animals that run around? I thought of doing this and just taking him inside at night. I just could not sleep through the night leaving him out their. Also i heard if you have them outside you should have them checked twice a year for mites and worms? Is this true? I was just gonna take the pool into the garage when i brought him in. Maybe that would help reduce parasites and such? I have no idea haha i just worry and want to have a healthy happy tortoise. Thanks

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I live in the city if chicago. I only worry about rats at night. But, I bring him in at night. As for flipping, there is enought plants, rocks, trees, and the substrate for him to grab ahold of too right himself. This area was already planted when I got my Russian. If you make yours in an area that is not already planted, you can put a top made of fencing over it too keep critters out.

Lucky you! But should I leave him in there while I go to school or just in the summer when in around