Help ! My Star Tortoise has layed an egg ASEXUALLY !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gautamm

5 Year Member
I have a pet Indian Star Tortoise for about 20 years. approx 10 inches in size. Living in Delhi India. Not sure of the sex. Today, we found it layed one egg of approx 2 inches size! This tortoise has not mated and not come in contact with any tortoise!
Can these reproduce Asexually???[/size]

dragnikla

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
owings mills, MD
RE: Help ! My Start Tortoise has layed an egg ASEXUALLY !

gautamm said:
I have a pet Indian Star Tortoise for about 20 years. approx 10 inches in size. Living in Delhi India. Not sure of the sex. Today, we found it layed one egg of approx 2 inches size! This tortoise has not mated and not come in contact with any tortoise!

Congratulations its a girl!!! Although some reptiles can reproduce asexually tortoises are not one of them. Females lay eggs when they are sexually mature whether a male has presented himself or not. The egg will not hatch however because it has not been fertilized. Tortoises reproduce sexually, and seem to enjoy it. (Especially male Aldabras haha). It would be kind of a waste for the females to reproduce without the males, considering how ridiculously well endowed most male tortoises are.

I don't know what the age of maturity is for Indian Star Tortoises, but it should not be unusual for her to lay an egg if she is atleast 20 years old. Hope this helped. And welcome to the forum.

gautamm

5 Year Member

dragnikla said:
gautamm said:

Congratulations its a girl!!! Although some reptiles can reproduce asexually tortoises are not one of them. Females lay eggs when they are sexually mature whether a male has presented himself or not. The egg will not hatch however because it has not been fertilized. Tortoises reproduce sexually, and seem to enjoy it. (Especially male Aldabras haha). It would be kind of a waste for the females to reproduce without the males, considering how ridiculously well endowed most male tortoises are.

I don't know what the age of maturity is for Indian Star Tortoises, but it should not be unusual for her to lay an egg if she is atleast 20 years old. Hope this helped. And welcome to the forum.

Thank, that explains!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Gautamm:

1115322xxxjykcplv.gif
to the forum!!

I'd love to see pictures of your Star tortoise and your tortoise enclosure.

Some females that have never been with a male tortoise will never lay eggs, however, like chickens, other females WILL lay eggs without having been with a male.

Gus

5 Year Member
Congratulations It's time to get a Mature Male

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congrats! I have had this happen with a few different species that had not yet been with a male. Welcome to the forum. There are a bunch of really great people here that will help in just about any way possible. Best wishes Douglas

gautamm

5 Year Member
A few weeks ago I had enquired about my 20 year old Indian Star Tortoise that layed eggs without mating. Thanks for all the replies.

Now it has been approx a month since laying 3 eggs in a time span of a week and she has not eaten anything since then! Just sips some water occaissionally. Its summer, so not really hibernation time.

Do I need to worry that she's not been eating?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would be a bit worried as she could have an egg still inside her. If an egg stays to long inside a tortoise, it could cause an infection. This could be the reason she hasn't eaten.

Danny

gautamm

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply Danny.
Any suggestions for treatment as there's no Vet around here who knows anything about tortoise?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Any vet with an x-ray machine could at least give you an answer as to if she still has an egg inside. Where do you live? We may be able to find someone on the vet list on the forum's main page, or a forum member might know a vet within driving distance. Please track her weight. Do you have a baseline weight from before this to compare to, subtracting the weight of the eggs? If you don't have a cuttlebone in there, that is something she may be very grateful of right now too. Best of luck.

Durgesh Nandini

5 Year Member
Hello Sir,
I have a star Indian tortoise MAle and I am a resident of Delhi. Please contact me at [email protected]. I would like to get my tortoise mated with yours. I would be really grateful if this can be done,
Thanks in advance
Durgesh Nandini

Status
Not open for further replies.