1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Is my star healthy ?

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by rolley, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. rolley

rolley Member

I found a star tortoise a month ago since then he is my pet..
    According to experts in the forum he is approx 6 years old
    His dimensions are 16×10 cm
    His weight is 650 grams
    I wanna know is he health or not ?
    His weight is according to his size or not ?

Attached Files:

2. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Arizona
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    6 years old is a good guess, I was initially thinking less than 10 considering the vivid colors on his shell. At that size, he is nearly full grown.

650 grams is good for a male that size, a little light but just slightly. His arms are nice and beefy, his head and eyes look really good, tongue is a good color and nostrils are clear. So he looks to have all the outward signs of good health. Internally could be a different story.

I don't know what to think about keeping a wild tortoise though. Do you know much about the wild population numbers in your area?
  3. rolley

rolley Member

I don't know about the wild population..I found him 30 miles away from where I live
  4. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    I agree with Neal on all counts. Your tortoise looks very healthy. A beautiful example of a star! But we can only go by the picture. You need to monitor the way he acts to see he soon starts becoming active, and continues to eat well. A wild caught tortoise will most probably have some parasites. In the wild, these are kept at normal levels and not a problem, but in captivity, in a confined space, the load of parasites can grow quickly and become a problem. Monitor your tortoise's weight and be sure it does not start loosing weight. If you have access to a vet who can do a fecal exam, that would normally be a good idea when dealing with a wild caught tortoise.

Your tortoise is a bit light, for what we shoot for in captivity, but that is often the case with wild caught. I look for my stars to be between 700-730g at 16cm. A male will often be more in the lower range, and a female on the higher side.
    rolley likes this.
  5. rolley

rolley Member

Thanks a lot mark...fecal exam is not possible here because there is no vet for tortoises here ..
  6. Dan

Dan Active Member 5 Year Member

Indiana
    You could do your own with a microscope, sugar water float solution, and a source text like Understanding Reptile Parasites (Klingenberg). Treatment is outlined in the same.
    rolley likes this.