Help Me Identify Wilson Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiknbknks

5 Year Member
My name is Jaime. I live in northeastern Kansas. I visited a family member in Gravois Mills, MO and we found Wilson. I am not sure as to what kind of tortoise he is or if he is a male or female. I am more concerned as to what he needs to eat to stay healthy. He loves apples and strawberries. I have given him broccoli and spinach, but then was told that spinach is bad so I stopped giving him that. Please help me identify Wilson. If I knew his sex then that would be cool as well. Thank you for your help. I am going to try and post a few pictures.

Attachments

• wilson face_crop.jpg
    wilson face_crop.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 56
  • wilson belly.jpg
    wilson belly.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 46
  • wilson side.jpg
    wilson side.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 42
  • wilson top.jpg
    wilson top.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I believe he is a three toed box turtle.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
So cute. Great lil face. Variety of foods is key. If you give him spinach every day for weeks on end, no good. But now and then, spinach has some good things. Lots of variety is the way to go. A rather cautious but still a good resource to check on foods - although it is geared more towards tortoises - is thetortoisetable.org.uk : )

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
They like leafy greens such as turnips, kale, romain lettuce, mustard greens, collard greens, dark green leaves. Broccoli is not a good thing to feed them and fruit should only be 10% of the diet, to much is bad. Also they are capable of eating low protein foods such as crickets, worms, and small fish. If you would like more help on box turtle care send me a pm if you cannot fin anything on the box turtle forum on TFO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaime, and welcome to the Forum!

Wilson is a 3-toed box turtle, like Jacqui said (Terrapene carolina triunguis). They like a shady, moist, warm environment with a bit of sun for sunning. They also eat a lot of live food as youngsters, but if yours is eating fruits and veggies, more power to her....yes, I think its a girl.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would feed at least 1/2 of their diet to include worms, slugs, anything that moves basically. Some like small fish and frogs/tadpoles. Occasional canned cat or dog food. Dry food for aquatic species (softened with water)They like a lot of water, and a moist habitat. All of mine prefer meat to veggies.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
What a cutie pie!! Box turtles are my favorite! You have a keeper!! :)

kiknbknks

5 Year Member
Thank you all so very much. Here I thought I had a tortoise. I am just so happy right now. Thank you for all the input on what to feed this poor baby. I feel bad, because I probably have been starving the poor thing. So, Wilson is a girl? How can you tell? Now we must rename her! LOL I have noticed that she uses her claws a lot to wipe her eyes. Is that normal? I don't see anything wrong with her eyes. No matter or crust on them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
From what we can see of the tail, the opening is near to the body not towards the end of the tail, which makes it a female.

Status
Not open for further replies.