Help me identify this tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
hello guys I am a new member to this forum and need help identifying my little cousins tortoise. He is form Monterrey, mexico and he came to visit me in Texas and brought it along with him.

I have surfed the web to try to figure out what kind of tortoise he is and i think he is a Texas tortoise but I am not sure because the person that gave it to my cousin said it was from Brazil. thanks for the help in advance!

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
hello guys I am a new member to this forum and need help identifying my little cousins tortoise. He is form Monterrey, mexico and he came to visit me in Texas and brought it along with him.

I have surfed the web to try to figure out what kind of tortoise he is and i think he is a Texas tortoise but I am not sure because the person that gave it to my cousin said it was from Brazil. thanks for the help in advance!

IMG_20120523_183025[1].jpg
IMG_20120523_183031[1].jpgIMG_20120523_183036[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The Brazilian species are red-footed tortoises and yellow-footed tortoises. This is neither.

Could it be a South American Chaco totoise?

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, I looked up some pictures and this tortoise does not look like that, it might not be from brazil but that is just what they told him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes I agree it does indeed look like a texas tortoise.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
alright cool thank you, how could i tell if its healthy or unhealthy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not a Texas. The leg spurs are too big for a Texas. I'm pretty sure its a Chaco.

Hi Anthony:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
ok well its around 7 inches long and my cousin knows that it at least 4 years old

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
yeah thats not a texas tort. Thats a chaco tortoise. A very pretty one with the marbling. it does have some pyramiding though. what are you feeding him?

The best way to tell if it healthy if it active, clear eyes doesnt weeze, doesnt blow bubbles, has no trouble walking or eating. These guys are from very arid deserts in south america. Keep a very consistant diet of grasses and cactus. greens from the store are ok for them. They can get upper respiratory infections quit easily, you need to make sure and keep him very warm. 100s in basking area and high 80's cool area and constant. They burrow so the substrate should be rather deep (at least 6-8") absolutely no humidity on this species for at least 8 months out of the year. They are an awesome species I have worked with them for years, and have a male and female. make sure that it has a water dish and a hide (usually they will burrow under the hide. What do you have him set up in?

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
well i dont know too much about the background but since my cousins been staying which is about two weeks ive been letting walk around and eat outside, i have been feeding it cactus mostly, it seems to like aloe vera , i have feed it grape leaves, broccoli, lettuce. thanks for all the help guys

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
if its 7" its more than likely a female and id say around 4-8 years old(but just a guess no real way to tell). Males of this species are rather small in comparison to the females. Males tend to stay around 5 1/2"-6" and females tend to get up to 8 1/2"-up to 9". a photo of its underside (plastron) and we will be able to tell you what sex it is. Do you have any questions on how to keep it in what sort of enclosure? These are a relatively rare species in the U.S so its imperitive you get good advice and do lots of research on this species.

Also welcome and congrats on that beauty.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
He stays inside in a old fish tank, at night but he is outside for most of the day. it likes to walk around and eats a lot of grass and weeds, should i clear some grass so he can make a burrow?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Anthony-i said:
well i dont know too much about the background but since my cousins been staying which is about two weeks ive been letting walk around and eat outside, i have been feeding it cactus mostly, it seems to like aloe vera , i have feed it grape leaves, broccoli, lettuce. thanks for all the help guys

stay away from the broccoli, and make sure iceburg lettuce is not fed. Dark leafy greens are best if using store bought food. Cactus and aloe is great for them. Mustard,Turnip, collard, endive, dandelion, buffalo grass, burmuda grass, st.augustine, italian parsely, red tip lettuce is ok. outside is best for this species especially if your in texas. Just be sure to get it shade, its getting mid 90's here and direct sun can kill a tortoise even if from desert regions. They will have a heat stroke.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
yea i have been looking up trying to find out as much as i can, Ill take any advice you can give me really

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking male due to the swollen glands under his chin.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Anthony-i said:
He stays inside in a old fish tank, at night but he is outside for most of the day. it likes to walk around and eats a lot of grass and weeds, should i clear some grass so he can make a burrow?

Thats perfect. Just be certain to have a good predator proof enclosure. Even cats and dogs in the city will be considered a predator. It should make its own burrow. I always add some topsoil and decomposed granite mixed together or mulch for them to make a burrow. You can just pile it up in a corner of his enclosure. Make sure theres a good water bowl for him. But sounds like hes settling in with munching on the grass and weeds. Thats best for this species. Try to keep it as settled in one spot for as long as possible, they can stress (as well as any species) moving them around too much.

emysemys said:
I was thinking male due to the swollen glands under his chin.

Perhaps. All the males i have had are very small even my 35 year old. Its possible only photos can tell ;) and we love photos.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
thanks for the tips, does it matter if i pick him up a lot? can i "play" around with chaco tortoises? what are some treats i could feed him?

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
ok thanks, does the pyramiding go away? it does have some on its shell

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definitely don't handle or play with a lot. Just really an observing and respecting animal to keep. Pyramiding is caused by a multiple of things. Diet, humidity or dryness in the first years of the animal. In captivity just keep to a good grass and greens diet and should be fine. It's very minor. I just noticed in the photo. These species typically keep very smooth. It's really not too much of a problem right now. Just keep his/her diet as discussed and proper temperature and care an will be a long term wonderful friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.