Help? Inside set up for baby yellow ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
redsn8k said:
Sure in the afternoons when my daughter gets home from school. As for grass area, our landlord has a Gardner fertilize the grass so that would not be good. When he is bigger I will build an outdoor enclosure and properly plant it.

Sounds good, your tort is lucky to have an owner like you always thinking about what's best for it and protecting it. I'm sure that you'll do just fine!

WinterRose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Your baby is darling!! I have 2 RF's and I run the fogger 24/7. One of them sorta avoids the fogger but the other one LOVES it and I often see her (him?) relaxing right under it. That one has some reverse pyramiding and the one that avoids it is beginning to pyramid ever so slightly (might even be my imagination lol). I've started soaking the lil avoider. So I think at least 90% humidity is pretty critical. I check daily for shell rot and I haven't seen any. But I thoroughly clean the enclosure and replace all of the coir and moss weekly. Actually the moss gets swapped out at least twice a week with new moss.

Just remember to keep the temps up religiously. Wet and cold is a big problem :(

mikeh

5 Year Member
What kind of UVB bulb is it? If its coil type, you may want to get that out Asap. They have potential to cause eye problems.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Yes it is a 5.0 zoomed. What is the difference with the straight tubes?

I found our little guy yesterday huddled up under the fogger as well. He normally stays in his hide. He is eating well. Cleans out a small plant saucer each day.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Found our little guy yesterday with a bunch of little tiny bugs on his plastron. Is this possibly mites? I use a cypress mulch from LLL Reptile. I replaced all the substrate and washed the enclosure. How do you ensure substrate is clear of pests. Do I microwave it?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sounds like mites. You can freeze the substrate for few days or bake it at 240F for 30-40 mins.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Thanks. I am baking it up right now.

After doing the first batch, I set up an outdoor enclosure from a cleaned guinea pig cage. Here are some pics. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378929497.433031.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378929508.916204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Nice pics. He/she looks great.

Mites may return, if there was any that made it to the new substrate from the tort or somewhere hidden . I have a few in my enclosure but its very few, I don't think I'll get rid of them, they are no bother at low numbers.

Are you still keeping the enclosure warm and very humid?

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Yes. I have the humidity around 80% and heat in the mid 80's all over during day to high 90's in the basking. Low 80 to mid 70's at night.

What can happen with mites? Also, when I put him in the outdoor enclosure, he left some runny stools. I may have fed him too much mango today but not sure if mites can cause this?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Great job on the temps and humidity. I dont think mites would have any effect on his stool or well being if kept in check. You don't want him swimming in mites.

Too much mango might cause runny stool as many fruits do, but its too soon if you just fed it today.

Just an FYI, this thread no longer shows in new thread section. I may be the only one that sees your replies as I subscribed to the thread. If you would like more input from other members I suggest creating a new thread.
Mike

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Thanks Mike. I'll start a new one if the problem persists. I think I will back off the fruit for a few days and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.