Help improve indoor enclosure expansion for Hermes tortoise

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
I really like your detailed posts on progress! Thank you!
The idea with magnets is very cool. If I won't succeed with sliding windows I'll try it next.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I thought it was about time for an update. The seedlings are going nuts, and were tying themselves in knots in the starter trays so I've moved them to individual pots to make room for more seedling starts and to try to root some of the smallest cactus pads that I harvested in the fall. The lighting is much better now as well. About 4x brighter and 5000K full spectrum instead of the old dimmer lights that I'm pretty sure were around 3500K color temperature. All of the plants seem much happier with the new lights.

And the Mulberry trees seem to be particularly happy. They've grown at least 3 inches taller and wider just since Christmas. Pretty soon they'll be too tall for the greenhouse space and I might have to chop the tops off or maybe do some Bonsai pruning to make them spread more to the sides. While doing some reading on tree care, I read from several sources that trees grown indoors often have weak trunks and branches because they aren't forced to get stronger while resisting wind, so I added some "wind" to the greenhouse with a pair of USB powered fans that are on an automated timer that turns on the fans for 15 minutes every hour to simulate intermittent outdoor air movement. Nothing as significant as a really good wind storm, but something like a light/moderate breeze now and then. It does make the trees "dance" so hopefully they and the other plants will be a little sturdier when it's time for them to go outside.

It's actually a lot brighter in the box than it looks in these pictures. I had to turn down the brightness/exposure on the camera so the pictures wouldn't be completely washed out.

PXL_20240205_050411919.jpg

PXL_20240205_050441496.jpg

Last edited: