help identifying a stray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hevs

5 Year Member
hello,
This little guy was found yesterday wandering along a 50mph road. He was in the middle. Luckly a MOP got out and picked him up and now he finds himself with me while we try to trace the owners. If they don't come forwards then i plan to keep him as long as he is a species i can provide everything for.
I'm pretty sure hes a spur thighed, but i'm not 100%. He has two lumps on his thighs but they're not really what i would call spurs, more like little lumps. He seems healthy, no cancur or obvious shell rot/mouth rot. His shell is a little flakey but will get him vet checked if no one comes forward in 7 days. Looks like something has tryed to take a bite out of him at some point as he has a small alomst puncture wound in his shell on one side. Hes also got flakey skin and was disgusting when i got him this morning. He smells like hes been in a manure heep and had enough gunk on his body to proove it. Hated his bath but looking much brighter.
Friendly little thing, follows me around the garden and can really move at spead!
Have attatched some pics. Thanks for any/all replys :)

Image039.jpgImage041.jpgImage040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hevs, Yes what you have is a Med. Spur thigh, I would guess Ibera. Those little lumps are the spurs. lol. Flakey skin my be because he is sheding or he is in need of hydration etc. Flakey shell is a sign of bad diet and poor hydration. I have a Med. Spur thigh that had several of his marginal scutes that actuall shed the outer layer due to poor nutrion. When I got him he had a RI. Once I got him on a good diet, hydrated him well and rid him of his RI his shell stoped sheding and a few of the ourter layers actually seeme to readhear to the underlayers.
Where are you located?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
In the UK Robyn :D

You do have a Spur-thighed tortoise, Testudo graeca ibera, like Robyn said.:D and it's a male.

When you post flyers looking for the owner, don't include a picture. Make sure the people that get intouch with you produce a picture of their tortoise or describe him very well. Also don't say the sex.

Danny

Hevs

5 Year Member
thank you both. Im in surrey in the UK. Hes regiserd with the RSPCA, loacal vets and the gentleman over here that deals with lost and found exotics.
Thanks again! time to do some research. Don't suppose you have any idea of how old he might be?
He is drinking alot and getting in and out of the water dish a fair amount. Eating lots of weeds. Weighs 3.10kg

Hevs

5 Year Member
Hello,
Just wanted to let everyone know that the little man is going back to his owners tomorrow. aparently he got out when someone left he garden gate open.
time to wait for the next stray to come along :)

Status
Not open for further replies.