HELP! HELP! HELP! (soft desert tortoise)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ashlee, your whole set up needs some tweaking. Here is a care sheet I typed up for Russian tortoises. I know they are different species, but I start and house baby desert tortoises EXACTLY the same as this. Please read it carefully and do your best to mimic the set up and routine. Your baby needs the right cage furniture, the right heating and lighting, the right diet, and it needs to be soaked daily for the next few months. Come back with lots of questions after you read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

We will do our best to help you and your tortoise.

Ashlee Harrington

Just to be sure you read my post - it's a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii)

Thank you so much for your help. I have read a little bit of it today, I haven't got a chance to read all of it, but thank you so much, I will read it thoroughly when I get the chance

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Ashlee

Glad you came here to get the exact advice you need. I just want you to know... If you have any problems providing him with the above mentioned care and need help, let me know. I am in Southern Calif.
I don't normally offer but his situation is dire.
I'm glad you are trying to help him!!
:)

Ashlee Harrington

I let him out before I left to soak up some sun, and he took off running, he was so happy. Also I have been pushing the calcium, he seems to be doing ALOT better but his shell hasn't shown any improvement, does anyone know how long it takes to show improvement?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I let him out before I left to soak up some sun, and he took off running, he was so happy. Also I have been pushing the calcium, he seems to be doing ALOT better but his shell hasn't shown any improvement, does anyone know how long it takes to show improvement?

It can take months, and it also depends on WHY it went soft. Its not always due to calcium or D3 deficiency. Plastron softness can also be the result of organ failure due to chronic dehydration, which is unfortunately very common with desert tortoise babies.

Ashlee Harrington

It can take months, and it also depends on WHY it went soft. Its not always due to calcium or D3 deficiency. Plastron softness can also be the result of organ failure due to chronic dehydration, which is unfortunately very common with desert tortoise babies.

My turtle doesn't like to drink water (I just put that new water thing it) I had a saucer in there but he wouldn't drink out of that either, every time I feed them I put a lot of water on their food, he eats really good but never drinks water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My turtle doesn't like to drink water (I just put that new water thing it) I had a saucer in there but he wouldn't drink out of that either, every time I feed them I put a lot of water on their food, he eats really good but never drinks water.

Babies need to be soaked daily in warm shallow water in a tall sided opaque tub. The type of saucer matters too. They won't use them if they are too deep, too steep, too slick, or in any way "uncomfortable" in their perception. Its all in that care sheet...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Ashlee:

Your baby is in big trouble and you need to act quickly to help him. It is a baby desert tortoise - Gopherus agassizii. It is ok for you to have it, however, once you get it well again, you'll have to apply for a permit to keep it.

New tortoise-keepers don't realize that in order for tortoises to grow and stay healthy, they need the sun. As you have now found out, without the sun the shell soon grows soft and eventually the baby dies.

Here is a good care sheet for desert tortoises:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

The guy who wrote this care sheet is in Bakersfield and he really knows his stuff about desert tortoises.

To give your baby immediate help, you need to get calcium-rich foods into him, then real sunshine which will give him UVB and that converts to vitamin d3 inside the baby. The vitamin d3 makes the calcium work, making the shell and bones strong.

Good luck, and please keep us in the loop on your baby's progress.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dear...that tortoise needs immediate care and in a bad way....please understand that I am in no way trying to be rude or scary or any other negative thing....about where do you live (I do not want your address or anything creepy like that....lol) but I live in the High Desert and would be willing to offer my hand if you find you need it....I am not wanting to acquire the tort but more to help you and the tort out.....it sounds as though you and the tort could use some help....I live in Apple Valley, High Desert.

Ashlee Harrington

Dear...that tortoise needs immediate care and in a bad way....please understand that I am in no way trying to be rude or scary or any other negative thing....about where do you live (I do not want your address or anything creepy like that....lol) but I live in the High Desert and would be willing to offer my hand if you find you need it....I am not wanting to acquire the tort but more to help you and the tort out.....it sounds as though you and the tort could use some help....I live in Apple Valley, High Desert.

He is doing much better, he is eating the calcium and he spent all day outside and I got him in some water, he has showed a lot of improvement

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good...please do not relax in the momentary improvement....this will be a nonstop situation until you feel that shell harden up....be tenacious in his care and keep up the routine for at least the next 3 to 6 months....also, I would not let this baby brumate for at least the next couple of years...may I also suggest that you improve the enclosure by adding lots of plants for the tort to hide in/under...you can use pesticide free plants as well as silk plants....I would also change that substrate out to something like this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2783817&KPID=3850367&pla=pla_3850367

which looks like this;

http://www.google.com/search?q=peat...Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSphagnum;3383;2260

and is a good substrate to pack down really hard with your hand so that the tort can get a firm footing for proper muscle development...and I would make the substrate no less than 6 inches deep...then re set your lighting/heat to account for the tort now being closer to the light....how are you getting an idea of the temps you have in the enclosure? I would make sure to keep the enclosure warm day and night and would strive for 80-83 day and night....you can use the day bulbs for warmth and then you will want to acquire a nighttime heat source, either a black heat bulb or a ceramic heat emitter....

Continue the soaks and keep offering food...even if the tort is not eating...just offer smaller amounts until that changes....

Ashlee Harrington

Oh good...please do not relax in the momentary improvement....this will be a nonstop situation until you feel that shell harden up....be tenacious in his care and keep up the routine for at least the next 3 to 6 months....also, I would not let this baby brumate for at least the next couple of years...may I also suggest that you improve the enclosure by adding lots of plants for the tort to hide in/under...you can use pesticide free plants as well as silk plants....I would also change that substrate out to something like this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2783817&KPID=3850367&pla=pla_3850367

which looks like this;

http://www.google.com/search?q=peat...Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSphagnum;3383;2260

and is a good substrate to pack down really hard with your hand so that the tort can get a firm footing for proper muscle development...and I would make the substrate no less than 6 inches deep...then re set your lighting/heat to account for the tort now being closer to the light....how are you getting an idea of the temps you have in the enclosure? I would make sure to keep the enclosure warm day and night and would strive for 80-83 day and night....you can use the day bulbs for warmth and then you will want to acquire a nighttime heat source, either a black heat bulb or a ceramic heat emitter....

Continue the soaks and keep offering food...even if the tort is not eating...just offer smaller amounts until that changes....

Actually he had not lost his appetite at all, he has been eating a lot. Thank you for all your help, I absolutely will keep up with this, I don't want to see my little turtle feel unwell. He seems to be feeling much better, and I know it will take some time to get him nursed back to health all of the way but I will stay on top of it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see Gopher tortoises very often here where I live. I didn't realize that the babies shells are colored like that. They're almost always dark brown or black. Just last week I had to re-locate one that was hanging out in our parking lot at work.