Help! Hatchling Sulcata.

bowserbaby

Hi.

I keep seeing conflicting things about hatchling sulcatas. Should their habitats be humid or dry. My husbands cousin has a 7 year old tort and said my habitat was fine. But on here I'm seeing a lot of pictures of habitats that are all coir.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413415493.847881.jpg

I've only had my dude since Sunday so it's only been a few days. I got him at a reptile show and they said to soak him daily and to feed him spring mix. So far I've given him kale and romaine lettuce. He doesn't eat when I'm around. They only reason I know he eats is because I put food out and when I come back it's gone.

He sleeps ALOT and is mainly only active right after a soak. When I sit and stare at him he closes his eyes and goes to sleep.

Any and all suggestions.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! One thing I am sure of: torts need humidity. As for your tort eating when you're not there...that sounds "funny." Believe it or not my tort won't eat unless.....I HAND-FEED IT! Like a baby, isn't it? Good luck, and take good care of your tort.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome to the Forum. Since we are suggesting some changes to assist inthe care of your new Sully, i would suggest that you purchase some new digital thermometer/hygrometer guages and place the probes at the level where your tort is -- down on the substrate. Temp and humidity varies a lot. To start, move your current guages down onto the floor of your enclosure.

Also, i dont see a water dish in there?! Is there one? Your guy should have access to water to both drink and self soaking. Get yourself a very shallow terracotta plant saucer and place it level with you new substrate. The top of the saucer should be level with ur substrate so your tort can crawl down into and easily out of the dish.

Good luck with ur Sully. Keep up with the daily soaks in warm water, keep him warm, and as suggested above, change out your substrate.