HELP!!! (found RES)

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
I heard a bunch of noise, went outside and found this??IMG_1525661669.275609.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there a pond or other water source near by? It may be trying to find a place too nest. If it were me and there's a chance it came from a near by water source I would take it back to near the water.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Is there a pond or other water source near by? It may be trying to find a place too nest. If it were me and there's a chance it came from a near by water source I would take it back to near the water.

There is a pond right across the road in our subdivision... about 5 years ago after a hurricane we had a bigger one by the front door! I got some surgical gloves to pick it up and put it in a mop bucket with water and carried it down the road and put it back. Glad I wore the gloves, when I picked it up it went nuts trying to get away and those sharp claws in the back almost ripped the gloves off. I dropped him it the bucket because it scared me and it fell upside down in the bucket of water lol.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Google: The Red-eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans) is the only species of Slider turtle that inhabits Louisiana. It is also the most commonly seen turtle in the Southeast. They are often seen sunning on logs in roadside ponds or crossing roads.

In the past, baby Red-eared Sliders were a popular pet and were sold in pet stores all over the United States, but that practice was stopped and it is now illegal to sell baby Red-eared Sliders in the U.S.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Google: The Red-eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans) is the only species of Slider turtle that inhabits Louisiana. It is also the most commonly seen turtle in the Southeast. They are often seen sunning on logs in roadside ponds or crossing roads.

In the past, baby Red-eared Sliders were a popular pet and were sold in pet stores all over the United States, but that practice was stopped and it is now illegal to sell baby Red-eared Sliders in the U.S.
Not so sure that last statement is true. See RES for sale all the time. They are of an over abundance in most areas. They get huge and so many bought as babies and then turned loose when they get too big. It's sad, they are a nice turtle.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Not so sure that last statement is true. See RES for sale all the time. They are of an over abundance in most areas. They get huge and so many bought as babies and then turned loose when they get too big. It's sad, they are a nice turtle.

I agree about it not being illegal. It was wild and mean lol... I’m sure it was as scared of me as I was of him lol

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree about it not being illegal. It was wild and mean lol... I’m sure it was as scared of me as I was of him lol

It is indeed a she and probably looking for a place to nest. This is the season the females will be all over looking for nesting sites. It’s not uncommon for them to travel over 1/4 mile looking for a spot that suits them.

I was playing a golf tournament just last week and saw one crossing the fairway in front of me. Saw lots of tracks in the sand traps and signs some were digging there. The lake at the course has dozens of red ears you can see basking most days and this is all released captives as this course is in Sacramento!

Most all areas will see nesting females wandering all over the US from now through mid June as the height of the season

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
It is indeed a she and probably looking for a place to nest. This is the season the females will be all over looking for nesting sites. It’s not uncommon for them to travel over 1/4 mile looking for a spot that suits them.

I was playing a golf tournament just last week and saw one crossing the fairway in front of me. Saw lots of tracks in the sand traps and signs some were digging there. The lake at the course has dozens of red ears you can see basking most days and this is all released captives as this course is in Sacramento!

Most all areas will see nesting females wandering all over the US from now through mid June as the height of the season

Thanks for the info! Going to bed now, it’s been quite a day!

United States
They are nice i never had one before but i want one. And yeah i agree i seen a couple posts on Craigslist recently. And one of them the people were like i got a slider but we dont really want it nomore. They werent expecting it to be living 15 years or more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are nice i never had one before but i want one. And yeah i agree i seen a couple posts on Craigslist recently. And one of them the people were like i got a slider but we dont really want it nomore. They werent expecting it to be living 15 years or more.
They do get huge so be sure you have a pond for it. No aquarium is big enough for an adult unless custom made.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Barb: It's illegal because BABY sliders are under 4". A turtle or tortoise must be 4" front to back to be legally sold by businesses. Does not apply to the hobby breeder.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Barb: It's illegal because BABY sliders are under 4". A turtle or tortoise must be 4" front to back to be legally sold by businesses. Does not apply to the hobby breeder.
I missed that they said baby res. I thought they were saying illegal to sell res. Yes, I know under 4" is illegal. Which is stilll a joke.