Help (ear abscess)

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
If you are not comfy with what the Vet does just tell him that. It's your pet and you decide. You found one you'll find another. This one sounds not professional. Keep looking;) Hope you tortie recovers just fine, hugs and kisses for you both:):)

tortoisio

If you are not comfy with what the Vet does just tell him that. It's your pet and you decide. You found one you'll find another. This one sounds not professional. Keep looking;) Hope you tortie recovers just fine, hugs and kisses for you both:):)

Thanks a lot Kasia
I'm just letting my tort rest now he's sleeping deeply and I dont wanna disturb him he might be in pain after his abscesses and I'll check his head properly when he wakes up. Hopefully what the vet said was needed as he claimed.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Well, I managed to find a vet that treats reptiles eventually, he said like you guys did that the abscess did pop on its own and thankfully it did drain itself completely like I said I couldn't find any "white" stuff in it or puss was like a small hole he checked it though and everything however as this vet had nurses in the place I wasn't required to go help hold the tort so I was sitting down like 5 meters away, and without consulting me the vet drained and cleaned a wound from an abscess that was taken out 2 years ago. I didn't think it was problematic at all and it wasn't even swollen or bloody or pus or anything. I don't like that and I think it wasn't needed but he says it really was a must do to avoid things in the future but I think he did it cuz he didnt find anything to do with the one that popped on its own anyways. I don't want to disturb my tort now hes sleeping deeply finally but I'll take a picture to show you guys later, I'm not feeling good about it but then again the vet knows better (maybe?).
While I like a vet that talks to me about what he is doing, I do think he probably did the right thing treatment-wise. If not cleaned up correctly (bad tissue removed, etc.) abscesses can reoccur and cause issues again. I would polite say that you require consultation before any decisions are made in the future as you prefer to take an active role in your animals' health.