Help / Comments Please

PepperJack

I've had my cherry head tortoise for about a month now. I have a regular routine for it in the morning and a set time for lamps on and off and a feeding schedule. I have noticed that he spends most of not all of his day after his morning soak in the darkest corner of his enclosure (I assume sleeping). His appearance is unchanged, but I feel he should be more active. Should I be concerned? Opinions please!

Attachments

• 1399415776832.jpg
    1399415776832.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 23

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have heard that some RF, CH, etc, don't like the brighter mercury vapor bulbs that we use on most tortoises. If that is what you are using, try changing it out to a tube flourescnt UVB and see if that helps. Also, double check that your temps and humidity is correct.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
How old is it? They hide the majority if the time for at LEAST the first year of life.

PepperJack

He is only about 3 inches big (So only a few months old). Temp and Humidity stay constant with temp at 90ºF and 90% humidity.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I try to keep the ambient temp lower to mid 80s, with the humid hide temp a little higher and obviously a basking spot. But I'm guessing his hiding is just because that's what they do. :) mine never comes out. I have to take him out to soak and eat. Lol.

PepperJack

Sounds about right ... anything else I should take note of? Calcium supplement suggestions or diet?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I feed spring mix, tried mustard greens (he wouldn't touch then), going to try collard greens. I give him fruit every 3 days or so (mostly melon, sometimes strawberry, pineapple), mazuri a few times a week (he usually only eats half a kibble), and cactus pads are his favorite. I tried dandelion but he turned his nose up - however, many torts love dandelion flowers and greens. I also have a grazing tortoise mix planted in his enclosure (it has clover and some other grasses in it). I haven't started adding in animal protein yet. When I do, I'll use those little baby salad shrimp or something - I've heard a lot of people using low fat dry cat food for this part.

Most calcium should be obtained if fed the right diet - otherwise a pinch of calcium powder every so often is fine. Also, I keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure and if he's "feeling" low in calcium, he gnaws on it. :)

Did I answer your question? I feel like I missed something....

PepperJack

You did wonderfully! My tortoise doesn't touch his cuddle bone. As far as the plants you have planted what do you suggest because I've been hesitant to plant anything in fear I get the wrong seeds to plant.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Well I went to Carolina's Pet Supply to order the seed mix and cactus. I got the "grazing tortoise mix" - but another popular one is the "testudo mix." Aside from the sheet moss I have, everything else is fake besides the grazing mix. I'm horrible at keeping plants alive... Haha!! A lot of people use spider plants, I have a jade plant but I repotted it in case fertilizer/pesticide was used - trying to grow it out of it, so to speak. Do u want a link to the site I use for some info (the only other place I look besides here - I get most my info on TFO)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The picture you're showing of your baby's habitat is very bright and wide open. He might feel safer and come out more if you populated the enclosure with plants, either fake or real.

PepperJack

I plan on putting edible plants in there. ..I am currently growing them outside the enclosure and will transplant them soon

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Agreed, very bright. Even the hide seems to be lit up. I also think that the humidity might be a tad too high if it's 90% throughout the enclosure. 90 degrees throughout the enclosure also seems a bit too high IMO.