Help Building Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I need some advice here, i have an old bookshelf I'm not using and decided to make it for my tort. the only problem is the back panel is very weak and thin, I'm afraid the substrate would just start leaking through. any ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reinforce it and then line the inside of the enclosure with plastic. That's what most do. That way the humidity won't just rot the wood.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow great idea Rosie. I was gonna opt to suggest another reinforcement, but yours makes better use and sense of the shelves

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Most of those bookshelves do need new backing, they are just too weak.
I agree, good idea about trying the shelves first, at least for part of it. If there are not enough, you can get some extra low grade pine shelving or something similar to supplement.
Others get a piece of wood cut to size by a place like Lowe's or Home Depot. It can be 1/4" interior plywood, or even pressed board. It just needs to be stronger than the cardboard-like backing that comes with the bookshelf. You are not worrying about it being water proof, as the liner will take care of that.

Once you stabilize it, then use a heavy duty shower curtain, tarp or pond liner inside, folded up the corners and stapled.

Status
Not open for further replies.