Help bugs

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No. But if you bake or boil your substrate before using it, it helps to keep the bug count down or gone. Bake 250 for 3-4 hours, boil, until it has boiled for a few minutes.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I add pill bugs, aka rolly polly bugs, to my enclosures for bug control.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
First, it's good to come back here for a visit even if I do have a question. It's good to know I have a place to come and ask. Digger and I are closer than ever. He will come when I call him and loves a bath. (I recently heard a reptile caretaker at an animal park say that Russians don't usually like to be in water.) He has grown and loves his outdoor enclosure. I have learned more about his diet and grow herbs and house plants just for his winter menu. I'm not stressing so much about being a good mother. ;)
Okay: I started with a few rolly polly bugs to help clean up the enclosure last year. They multiplied and did such a good job of clean up that they grew; the biggest pill bugs I ever saw. I took advice from Tortoise Forum and purchased diatomaceous earth to kill the rolly polly's. Early this year, I noticed some tiny black bugs - like gnats that don't fly (similar to the photo above) - crawling around, even on Digger. He didn't seem to notice but I was concerned. Since he goes out for the summer, I didn't bother about these bugs at the time. Matter of fact, there were some of the same bugs crawling around his outdoor enclosure along with bag worms that fell out of a near by tree. Then the usual wasps in his water dish, lady bugs, ants and even a toad came for an extended visit. I cleaned Diggers indoor enclosure a month ago by stirring up the organic soil, adding some new organic soil along with quite a bit of the diatomaceous earth, then cleaned water dish and rearranged things a bit. Also added a couple live plants this year (dandelion, wandering Jew, jade and spider plants). Now, I am getting ready to bring him in for winter and those little bugs are still around. The diatomaceous earth doesn't seem to have made a difference with these little pests.
How much of the diatomaceous earth is safe to use with Digger in the terrarium? Since these little guys must deal with pests in the wild, is this a real concern? :eek: :rolleyes:

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
P.S. Just this summer, I found that sugar is a killer of grasshopper eggs in my garden. I mix half Coke and half water in my garden sprinkling can and pour around plants and bushes since they get laid in the soil. Wonder if it would work in Diggers space on the tiny bugs?
Does anyone know if Coke/sugar is safe on the skin and shell of a tortoise?