Help! Baby red eared slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemmentiny

5 Year Member
I was cleaning my little guys tank and put him in my bigger tank with the "big kids" my 3-4 inch sliders. Well going back to check on him I found him being bullied and attacked by one of them. :( I pulled him out to see they had snacked on the bak of his shell. I looked up that it won't grow back BUT is he going to be ok? I'm very nervous. Help please with any input. I don't see any broken/ripped flesh just the skin I'd normally see on his hind legs. Please help

image-2099088308.png

I think the black is part of the underlining of the shell? I'm not sure. Any help??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It looks bad, but it looks like they did not breach the shell, just the outer edges. If no wounds just let nature take it's course. I am gonna beat a dead horse here, but you should never put different sized turtles like that together, they will more than likely think they are food.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I dont see any blood or anything bad. Maybe put some anibiotic. You dont want an infection. bump

clemmentiny

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
It looks bad, but it looks like they did not breach the shell, just the outer edges. If no wounds just let nature take it's course. I am gonna beat a dead horse here, but you should never put different sized turtles like that together, they will more than likely think they are food.

I know :( I feel so awful. I usually supervise too. They seemed to be alright so I left a few minutes. This is a major lesson learned. My poor little nugget. Thank you so much

mattgrizzlybear said:
I dont see any blood or anything bad. Maybe put some anibiotic. You dont want an infection. bump

Where do I get antibiotic?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I am not an expert but maybe emysemys will look or someone who knows a little more than me. Sorry hope s/he is ok!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Any triple antibiotic ointment will work, store brands are cheaper. But if there is no bleeding none should be needed.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Well it should make a very unique adult turtle. I was amazed when I first saw it, but no blood is a very good sign. Keep the tank clean and keep him away everyone for now on.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That damage does not look like bullying...it appears more like they were working on consuming him....

I would allow this turtle a week or so of calm, warm down time....I would make sure that he has access to a basking spot for the daytime and a night black light for heat....

Status
Not open for further replies.