Help! Adopting Sulcata Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I have made arrangements to take a Sulcata today from a woman who found it walking down the road in front of her daughter's elementary school . I believe it to be a Sulcata, and she said her ex raises them in CA and she believes it looks like one but it does NOT have the raised bumps on its shell-it appears VERY smooth and looks to be roughly the size of a salad plate. (She texted me pics however I cannot figure out how to forward them so I can post). I have an ornate Boxie and a Redfoot-can someone fill me in on what I need for my new addition? Thanks in advance for all the help!!!! :D

What is throwing me off is he has a large shell that juts out underneath his neck like a Texas Tortoise...do Sulcatas have that?? (I am working on getting pics now). Thanks!!

turt 1.JPG
turt 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is no sulcata my friend! It's a gopher tortoise . Maybe a Texas tortoise not good a iding the gopher torts nut someone like Yvonne will let you know for sure .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
mike taylor said:
That is no sulcata my friend! It's a gopher tortoise . Maybe a Texas tortoise not good a iding the gopher torts nut someone like Yvonne will let you know for sure .

ah ha! I thought it looked a little like a TX Tortoise..hopefully Yvonne will be along soon-gosh knows she has helped me in the past :D Thanks Mike!!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
definitely a north American gopher..and its not a sonoran or californian..which leaves only the texas.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
nate.mann said:
definitely a north American gopher..and its not a sonoran or californian..which leaves only the texas.

0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise

Thanks Nate...is it hard to care for? ( I cant imagine it being more difficult than my RedFood) but you never know!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
nope, less. with redfoots youve gotta deal with the humidity and hope they dont get shell rot..with these guys you feed, water, and keep them awake this winter and youre good. they do the rest.

0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
nate.mann said:
nope, less. with redfoots youve gotta deal with the humidity and hope they dont get shell rot..with these guys you feed, water, and keep them awake this winter and youre good. they do the rest.

0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise

whew! thats good to know. Since he will be inside for awhile, is the basic MVB lighting okay? Thanks so much!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't think it's a Texas tortoise either. They have pretty smooth front leg scales. It might be some sort of hybrid. I've never seen a mix between any of the gopherus and a sulcata.

You can look at the care sheets for sulcata tortoises and set him up like that. However, this is not a baby or a young tortoise. He looks to be pretty much grown.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you live in Texas? If so it should be easy just keep him outside and feed him as much native food you can . Winter comes he will know what to do . Just make sure he has a spot that will stay dry with are wet winters . Good find but you need to check with TPW for laws on keeping them.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Yvonne G said:
I really don't think it's a Texas tortoise either. They have pretty smooth front leg scales. It might be some sort of hybrid. I've never seen a mix between any of the gopherus and a sulcata.

You can look at the care sheets for sulcata tortoises and set him up like that. However, this is not a baby or a young tortoise. He looks to be pretty much grown.

that did stick out to me too, but i dont know all that much about the species so i wouldnt really know the difference.

0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
mike taylor said:
Do you live in Texas? If so it should be easy just keep him outside and feed him as much native food you can . Winter comes he will know what to do . Just make sure he has a spot that will stay dry with are wet winters . Good find but you need to check with TPW for laws on keeping them.

I do live in Texas-its getting chilly here at night-would that be an issue? And are they climbers? I have a temp enclosure I can use that is about three cinderblocks high all the way around but my Boxie scaled the walls in about 2.2 seconds and was trying to shuffle off to Buffalo when I found her-lol. If he/she isnt a climber it would be easier for me to keep it outside-:)

Status
Not open for further replies.