Took In A Neglected 4 Year Old Sulcata Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was at a friends shop today, and was ask by a patron if I would take her 4 year old sulcata, It had out grown the tank she had it in. I said sure, so she brought it by the house a couple hours later. This is the first real shy sulcata I have ever seen, it is dark in color, shell is sort of soft and pyramided ,it walks funny, not sure how to describe it, just not right. she said it likes lettuce, you know what that means.My main concern is do i have to ween it into the hot sun or will it seek shade on it's on ? It has probably never been in direct sun light.I cleaned it up before I took a few pics. Tomorrow I will try to figure out the walk, today if it saw me it stopped walking, have to sneak up on it. Len

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She looks beautiful! I wonder if the walking issue is an early sign of MBD (metabolic bone disease), with the fact you said the shell at this age was still on the soft side. Or could be lack of muscle tone... how small was the tank?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor little thing. I just don't understand why people think its ok to keep a tortoise in a "tank" long after it has grown too big to be in a tank.

I got a phone call from someone asking advice because their desert tortoise was bleeding from between its scutes. I asked if it could have been dropped or stepped on and they said, "No. We've never taken it out of its tank." An adult desert tortoise. Tank. Disgusting!

I hope your new baby quickly takes to life in the fast lane. He doesn't understand just how lucky he is.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I think that is so wonderful anytime that someone takes in a rescue. Kudos to you! I totally think that any rescued animal knows that it was rescued and you are their angel. :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awwww poor thing! I exposed Lou for short sun periods, but I was worried because his skin was super white, I thought it may burn. After a week I let him out longer but it was fall in California then, not nearly as hot now.

Good job on the save, he/she is in tortie heaven now!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I can see from the plastron that it will need minerals, but sprinkling the food with them should work quickly along with plenty of sunlight, food, and water. As long as the bones are not too distorted, the minerals should also improve gait. Great luck to you two.

Status
Not open for further replies.