Hello

cruzanster

Hello to all. I am new here. I do not currently own a tortoise, but I once owned a Florida box turtle. I would really like to own another one. My turtle, Ralph, died about ten years ago and I have been since trying to get one. However, meanwhile I might as well become part of the family. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Do you have an idea or two as to which kind of tortoise (or turtle) you might like?

MsBijou

5 Year Member
Welcome!! I really don't know a lot yet but one tort sticks out that people seem to really enjoy having is the red foot. Check those out and see what you think. I have a Russian, another very popular tort :).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I love having my red foot - s/he is the first tortoise I have owned and if I wasn't having humidity issues, it'd be perfect. Lol. They are fun but have only had mine for 3 weeks now. Looking forward to 50 more years. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

I know of one member here who sells the Florida box turtles - Patman, and I'm sure there are others too. Take a trip through our 'for sale' and our 'sold' section to make a note of the usernames.

MsBijou

5 Year Member
Oh, and check out leopard torts. So cool, so pretty. They get larger and as with most, they need a lot of humidity while growing so their shells form correctly.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
MsBijou said:
Oh, and check out leopard torts. So cool, so pretty. They get larger and as with most, they need a lot of humidity while growing so their shells form correctly.

welcome! there are a ton of reliable breeders around here on the forum just make sure you check them out first. as other's have said red foots are AWESOME but if you have troubles holding in humidity it can be troublesome or russian's are really awesome to but a word of advice in advance if you get a russian they are solitary animals they don't need/want a cagemate same with a lot of other species just make sure to do your reading first and good luck!

MsBijou

5 Year Member
Naturalman, I love my Russian :). I think they make an EXCELLENT starter tort.

I'm so glad you mentioned that torts are solitary animals to this new person before he gets the idea that he needs more than one. It seems to me that once a person gets it into their head that they want a pair or more It's so hard to change their minds!!! Some people are so stubborn, it's sad!!!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
MsBijou said:
Naturalman, I love my Russian :). I think they make an EXCELLENT starter tort.

I'm so glad you mentioned that torts are solitary animals to this new person before he gets the idea that he needs more than one. It seems to me that once a person gets it into their head that they want a pair or more It's so hard to change their minds!!! Some people are so stubborn, it's sad!!!

russian's where my starters to but i made the mistake of getting a pair when i first got them i never had any problems with aggression but i also contribute that to finding this site even before i was a member and read so not long after i got them i split them up

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Cruz welcome to the TFO from AZ . My first was leopards. I now have Russians , Greeks , Egyptians , Herrmans , ADT, Marginated , 2 different box turtles , and 7 dufferent water turtles

And I love them all

cruzanster

Welcome to the Forum!

I know of one member here who sells the Florida box turtles - Patman, and I'm sure there are others too. Take a trip through our 'for sale' and our 'sold' section to make a note of the usernames.
Hi, thanks for the tip. Sorry for taking long to respond, but I have been a bit busy lately. I have seen picture of the leopard tortoises and I think that I like those as well.

cruzanster

Hi and welcome! Do you have an idea or two as to which kind of tortoise (or turtle) you might like?
Hi, I certainly like the florida box turtle, but I do not know what is the likelyhood of owning one. I have seen picture of the leopard tortoises and I think that I like those as well.

cruzanster

I do not think that I will encounter any humidity issue because I live in the U.S. Virgin Islands. :)

cruzanster

Hello Cruz welcome to the TFO from AZ . My first was leopards. I now have Russians , Greeks , Egyptians , Herrmans , ADT, Marginated , 2 different box turtles , and 7 dufferent water turtles

And I love them all

Hey! Thanks for the welcome. I see that you are really into these animals. I have adored them all my life and I think that all turtles (marine or terrestrial) are the most amazing creatures.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Hello and welcome! I love my Sulcata more then any other tort but she is the only tort I have had. It's amazing to watch them grow but they are a lot lot lot of work. I believe that there are other torts that are much easier to care for! I'm sure you will fall in love with what ever tort you decide.