Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nye_19

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

My name is Nye, I'm from Texas and I have recently purchase a russian tortoise a few days ago. From what I've been told from the pet store sales lady, my tortoise is supposedly three years old. My boyfriend has been helping me research on how to take care of the tortoise and try to build a decent home for it. Currently I have no name for the fella since I'm clueless about the sex. So I'm trying to find a unisex name and doing my best to take care it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nye and welcome to the Forum!

Pet stores are notoriously clueless about the ages of their russian tortoises. Because the species is a small species, they think all of them that they sell are young and usually 3 years old. Your tortoise is more than likely about 10 years old.

We have a member working on a care sheet for Russian tortoises, but its not ready yet. In the mean time, the care sheet here is pretty good:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

If you can figure out how to post a picture, and show us the underside including the tail, we can tell you the tortoise's sex.

Nye_19

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Nye and welcome to the Forum!

Pet stores are notoriously clueless about the ages of their russian tortoises. Because the species is a small species, they think all of them that they sell are young and usually 3 years old. Your tortoise is more than likely about 10 years old.

We have a member working on a care sheet for Russian tortoises, but its not ready yet. In the mean time, the care sheet here is pretty good:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

If you can figure out how to post a picture, and show us the underside including the tail, we can tell you the tortoise's sex.

I see, thank you for the suggestion. Well the tail is long and curls to the side. At first I thought it was a girl because of the pet store lady but then my boyfriend mention that female tortoises have shorter tails. Hence my confusion now. Again thank you for the helpful suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.