Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alethea

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello. I have been reading this forum every evening for the past two weeks so I decided it was time to introduce myself. We live in northern New Mexico and have just purchased our first two Greek tortoises. Lexi and Adonis. We are super excited! This forum has already been very helpful in determining the right fit for our family. Thank you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How did you happen to decide to add tortoises to your life?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alethea, and welcome to the Forum!!

Alethea

5 Year Member
Colorado
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! How did you happen to decide to add tortoises to your life?

I had a small turtle when I was little. I have always been fascinated by turtles. I did not want to deal with aquatic turtles though. So we started reading about all of the different types and found that Greeks are completely perfect for our lifestyle and what we were looking for.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hi and welcome to TFO! There is always more to learn, and this forum is a great place for that. Congratulations on the new kids!

Alethea

5 Year Member
Colorado
kanalomele said:
Hi and welcome to TFO! There is always more to learn, and this forum is a great place for that. Congratulations on the new kids!

Thank you! Poor my little Lexis is at the vet. She had worms so she is staying there for treatment. :( I miss the little critter. Adonis is still shy. We just brought him home Sunday. Any ideas on how to draw him out of his shell. (Pun intended) :D

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
My best advice for a shy new tortoise is to leave it alone! Moving to a new place with new surroundings is stressful for them. As they learn and start to feel more confident in their surroundings you will see more and more of them. But for now, just give it what it needs and leave it to adjust. Be patient as this process can take awhile. And I mean months depending on the individual personality, health and conditions of your enclosure. All perfectly normal. If your torts have been together at all then this one probably has worms also. Im sorry the other one is having to be in the hospital. I hope she is able to be home soon.

Alethea

5 Year Member
Colorado
kanalomele said:
My best advice for a shy new tortoise is to leave it alone! Moving to a new place with new surroundings is stressful for them. As they learn and start to feel more confident in their surroundings you will see more and more of them. But for now, just give it what it needs and leave it to adjust. Be patient as this process can take awhile. And I mean months depending on the individual personality, health and conditions of your enclosure. All perfectly normal. If your torts have been together at all then this one probably has worms also. Im sorry the other one is having to be in the hospital. I hope she is able to be home soon.

They have not been together at all yet and I have been watching Adonis carefully. So far so good. I got a call from the vet yesterday and my Lexi gets to come home in two weeks! I can't wait. I call every couple of days to check on her.

Adonis is funny. I have been leaving him alone mostly. But I spend about 15 minutes in the evening with him holding him and talking to him. That is when he comes out of his shell. Maybe he is a lap turtle! ;)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome! ;) maybe I'm just still too new, but your tort is staying at the vet for 2 weeks because of worms? I'm just curious...:)

Alethea

5 Year Member
Colorado
Chainsawkitten said:
Hi and welcome! ;) maybe I'm just still too new, but your tort is staying at the vet for 2 weeks because of worms? I'm just curious...:)

I had just bought her so if I let them take care of the treatment., they foot the bill. Plus., being new I wasn't comfortable treating her myself. And that way I don't expose the others so it was safer for all involved.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Alethea said:
I had just bought her so if I let them take care of the treatment., they foot the bill. Plus., being new I wasn't comfortable treating her myself. And that way I don't expose the others so it was safer for all involved.

Oh very good! How's she doing?

Alethea

5 Year Member
Colorado
Chainsawkitten said:
Alethea said:

I talked to the vet today and they have not seen any worms the last couple of days and she is eating well and so I will leave her a couple more days just to keep everyone safe and then she comes home! I can't wait!
Thanks for asking. :)

Lasciels Toy said:
Welcome and enjoy your new family members!

Thank you. What kind of tort are you getting?
I have three Greeks, one is golden.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Alethea said:
Chainsawkitten said:
Alethea said:

I talked to the vet today and they have not seen any worms the last couple of days and she is eating well and so I will leave her a couple more days just to keep everyone safe and then she comes home! I can't wait!
Thanks for asking. :)

Lasciels Toy said:
Welcome and enjoy your new family members!

Thank you. What kind of tort are you getting?
I have three Greeks, one is golden.

I'm getting a Russian, in a week or so, just finished building the enclosure, now just setting up the lights, plants, substrate and such. I'm trying to pace my self, learning on 1 but it's tough with all the members posting pictures of their different breeds >.<

Alethea

5 Year Member
Colorado
All of my babies are home and healthy! I am so happy. So here is a cute thing. My bigger female, now that the smaller female is home, lays with her head and neck up on the back of the male who happens to be the smallest one with the biggest appetite. Is she claiming him as her buddy or just seeking comfort from the one she has known the longest? Any ideas? There has been no fighting or signs of aggression.

Status
Not open for further replies.