Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
De Pere, Wisconsin
Hello from Wisconsin!

I just got my very first Russian tortoise three days ago. His name is Doug Henry Franklin. He's very active. What a fun little guy:) tortoise.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Hello from Wisconsin!

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the Forum!

laura13617

5 Year Member
midwest

Welcome to the forum! A great site with lots of tort lovers to help you get Doug Henry Franklin living in the right habitat, eating the right diet, and under all the right conditions..i know they helped me with my torts..great people here! I love the name by the way:)

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Welcome :)

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
I'm Andrew and I've already introduced myself. I can't figure this site out, like how to post a thread somewhere else haha. So anyway,

I've had my Russian tortoise Doug for about two weeks. Doug's poop was runny last night, and half solid half runny the last time. Both when he was being soaked.

I was just wondering how concerned I should be and what other people feed their Russians just to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I've been giving him assortments of collard greens, kale and a little romaine lettuce. I'm not sure if I need more variety? Or is one of those bad?

I feel real bad for Doug and I feel like an awful owner if I'm doing something wrong. Other than the poo, he seems happy and very active.

Thank you so much!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Well if you figured out how to post in introduction section, the others are just like it. Go to the section you want to post in and hit the "New thread" button. Doug is still having a bit of stress and your giving him soaks, all of which can loosen the stools. You also may want to take a stool sample to the vet, because stress may have caused a worm bloom (another possible cause for loose stools). All three greens you are using are fine. As for variety, yes I would try for more. Does not need to be at each and every meal, just rotate what you feed. Any chance you could find some weeds that have not been fertilized or treated with other chemicals? All the greens you see at the supermarket for humans, can be used for your tortoise. Iceburg is good in rare cases, but does not sound like your guy needs that one, so skip it. Romaine is also considered a lower quality food, but I see your already limiting it. Might try turnip greens, mustard greens, and dandelions just for starters. Almost forgot, welcome to TFO!

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
Okay! I'll switch in a few more greens. I'd go out and try to get some weeds but they're all dead already here in Wisconsin. Once spring hits again, what sorts of weeds should I look for?

If the runniness continues I'll try taking a sample to the vet.

Thank you so much for your reply!

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Hi Andrew, welcome to the tortoise forum, lots of good stuff here.
How old is your Russian?
If he is older, I would take him to a exotic animal vet for a check up since you only had him two week. If you live far from the city then ask lots of questions here on the forum. I've read it's important to have the correct temperatures (plural) for the enclosure.
Best wishes :tort:

AndrewTillmann

5 Year Member
De Pere, Wisconsin
Update: Doug had some healthy poo and urates today! All is well.
Though, I will still bring him to the vet within the next month or so.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
This forum can teach you more than you thought that you didn't even know was there to know?

Yesterday a long time member of this forum told me that she had a star tortoise with a runny nose like a year ago and she brought it to the vet. The vet gave it an injection with some drug and later it died because it was allergic to that drug. Not to insult any clinics but sick animals come to clinics for treatment and so do their diseases. Just try not to cross contaminate, and wash your hand after you leave and before you touch your tortoise to be on the safe side. Learn about the medication before given to your tortoise, if any.

I would also start thinking about getting your tortoise out of the aquarium an into a nice tortoise table house.

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.