1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hello!

Discussion in 'Elongated and Forsten's tortoises' started by ParkourMexican, Sep 13, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. ParkourMexican

ParkourMexican New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    North Carolina
    New member to the forum here just wanting to introduce myself!

I just recently moved to the Raleigh area in NC so I'm the new guy pretty much everywhere.

As far as tortoise husbandry is concerned I have only cared for gopherus morafkai in the past and even then it was only for a brief period of time (mostly because of my inexperience).

Now, armed with a little more knowledge, I have set my mind on caring for indotestudo elongata (which I believe is one of the better species for the climate of NC) so I have spent the last month or so setting up an enclosure.

It's mostly just grass and other edibles but I also put some springtails and isopod cultures in the dirt in hopes of establishing a bioactive set up.

The light is a zoomed 24" with a 22" 5.0 bulb placed 40cm from the substrate to allow for the uv to fall within zone 2 of the Ferguson zones.

I am planning on setting up a CHE for basking temperatures of 35-40C but I don't need it quite yet as I'm still growing out the plants.

I am also planning on utilizing a mini humidifier with a hygrostat to regulate the ambient humidity to between 80 and 90%RH. I know the open top might prevent this from being successful but I have found that the humidity stays between 70 and 75%RH within the grasses without any additional humidity.

Of course there will be plenty of hides for the tortoise and a shallow water dish.

Lastly this is only meant as a grow out setup and the coffee table underneath the plastic tub will be modified to become a 28"x48"x15" tortoise table for the tortoise's first few years of life.

What do y'all think? 1568398584014.jpeg
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi and welcome!

I've moved your thread to the elongata section so more members would see it and help you with your questions. Sorry, I know nothing about the elongated tortoise, but hopefully one of our more experienced members will come along and answer your questions.

@KevinGG @Kapidolo Farms

(I like your use of the two Zoo Med light stands.)
  3. ParkourMexican

North Carolina
    Thank you Yvonne! I'm just trying to do things the right way so I appreciate the help!

I used some springs I had laying around and conveniently placed screws on the light housing. It holds up pretty well. IMG_20190915_120602.jpeg
  4. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    I like all the plants. Once the tortoise figures out there are isopods, they will find and eat them all. I have Forsten's and they are similar, but not the same.

I'm not sure what utility a humidifier will provide in the wide open space that is currently what I see in the photo. Once enclosed, it easy to maintain high humidity with moist substrate, no humidifier needed.

I'd also suggest a radiant heat panel (RHP) over a CHE. A CHE can get upto 300/400 F on it's surface, while an RHP will never be hotter than what you can touch with your bare hand. They are more expensive but much safer. Either way they should be managed with a thermostat.

I may get into elongated tortoises some time, but right now I got my hands full.
  5. ParkourMexican

North Carolina
    Thank you for reading my post Kapidolo Farms. I figured that the tortoise might feast on the isopods but hopefully by the time I do get a tortoise there are plenty in the enclosure to last a while.

My indoor humidity fluctuates between 50% and 60% so Im going to try and set it up with one of those mini humidifiers and see if I have any luck maintaining the overall humidity between 80 and 90%. My plan is also to have a hide with some damp sphagnum moss for a bit higher humidity.

I had never even heard of an RHP until now. Are they meant to produce basking zones or more of an ambient temperature controller?