Hello!

buckminstertortoise

Location (City and/or State)
new york
I am very excited to be a new pet carer of a baby red-foot tortoise, just under a month old. His name is Buckminster Fuller, Bubba for short. I love him very much and I just want to make sure I am giving him the best care I can. IMG_20190326_080841.jpeg00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190323124602904.jpeg

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong

buckminstertortoise

new york
Hi and welcome. Telling us the info on the temps, humidity, food etc can let us help you even further.
I just got a thermometer and humidity gauge today and it's already making a huge difference. Temperature is in the mid 80s, but humidity is around 65-70. Any tips on how to raise it? I am feeding him kale so far but, I have only had him 4 days and I'm feeding him every other day so I've fed him kale twice and he has been eating a good chunk. Although today he started eating some of his Cyprus bedding which was odd.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I just got a thermometer and humidity gauge today and it's already making a huge difference. Temperature is in the mid 80s, but humidity is around 65-70. Any tips on how to raise it? I am feeding him kale so far but, I have only had him 4 days and I'm feeding him every other day so I've fed him kale twice and he has been eating a good chunk. Although today he started eating some of his Cyprus bedding which was odd.
You should get 3 different temps from the enclosure, one is the cool side, one is the warm side, and one is the baking spot. Cool should be at 80 to 85,warm should be at 90 to 95,basking should be at 100. Using a closed chamber with a little ventilation is effective at maintaining high humidity. Use cam also buy a humidifier. A great variety of foods should be offered to ensure your tort is getting every kind of nutrients it needs. Try romaine lettuce (every tort loves it) and mazuri(a lot of different nutrients), but not too often. Do you feed it some kind of calcium like reptile calcium powder? If you can't find any you can use crushed egg shells. My sulcata also eat the substrate(mine is coco coir), but just a little shouldn't be a big issue. I think it's just because some of the food fell on the substrate.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong

buckminstertortoise

new york
Here's a very detailed care sheet provided by one of our Forum members. It covers everything you need to know. Give it a thorough read, make any needed adjustments, and let us know if you have any specific questions or need clarification. We're happy to help!

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/172531/
Yes I read that sheet, very helpful. Still feeling a bit conflicted about the uvb light though. I am seeing a lot of mixed advice. I am giving him calcium and D3 powder on his food. Is the light bad for him?

buckminstertortoise

new york
You should get 3 different temps from the enclosure, one is the cool side, one is the warm side, and one is the baking spot. Cool should be at 80 to 85,warm should be at 90 to 95,basking should be at 100. Using a closed chamber with a little ventilation is effective at maintaining high humidity. Use cam also buy a humidifier. A great variety of foods should be offered to ensure your tort is getting every kind of nutrients it needs. Try romaine lettuce (every tort loves it) and mazuri(a lot of different nutrients), but not too often. Do you feed it some kind of calcium like reptile calcium powder? If you can't find any you can use crushed egg shells. My sulcata also eat the substrate(mine is coco coir), but just a little shouldn't be a big issue. I think it's just because some of the food fell on the substrate.
Thank you so much! I will try romaine. I used to have a Russian who it remember was very fond of it. And I will try the mazuri too.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Yes I read that sheet, very helpful. Still feeling a bit conflicted about the uvb light though. I am seeing a lot of mixed advice. I am giving him calcium and D3 powder on his food. Is the light bad for him?
How often do you feed it calcium? I do that every 4 days. Can you tell us some info about the light? Like the brand, watt and what not, why not post some images too?
(I'm not very familiar with this kind of stuff though, so I can't advise too much about the lights, or else I may give wrong info's)

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Oh my I'm so sorry! I gave the wrong info about the temps!! Redfoot doesn't need a basking area and your temps are actually pretty optimal for a redfoot!! What I said about the temps was for sulcata. Again I'm so sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I keep all my baby tortoises in enclosed enclosures with an overall temperature of 80-85F degrees. Enclosed habitats are much easier to maintain the constant temperature and humidity that babies require.

Your baby is a beauty. Please read our care sheets. You'll find them pinned at the top of our RF section. They will give you a better idea of what to feed your new baby. A steady diet of only kale is not good for him.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. If your UVB light is a coil type bulb (CFL). Those are bad on the eyes. A straight flouresnt type lamp is better. Members speak about a new type of this tube with a HO rating that they prefer.

buckminstertortoise

new york
Hi and welcome!

I keep all my baby tortoises in enclosed enclosures with an overall temperature of 80-85F degrees. Enclosed habitats are much easier to maintain the constant temperature and humidity that babies require.

Your baby is a beauty. Please read our care sheets. You'll find them pinned at the top of our RF section. They will give you a better idea of what to feed your new baby. A steady diet of only kale is not good for him.
Hi thank you, I've switched to romaine mainly and will he buying some mazuri soon.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi thank you, I've switched to romaine mainly and will he buying some mazuri soon.

Romaine is a nutrient poor food, why feed « mainly » with the tortoise specie that can eat the most different kind of foods? Search on this forum about a redfoot diet you will see the endless list of better than lettuce food you can give it. Mazuri is fine but tortoises tend to be addicted to it and not want to eat anything else so I would suggest you introduce it by mixing it with other foods. Redfoots do prefer not to have too much light and they also do need uvb, can be from the sun a couple times a week depending on where you live, or you buy a uvb tube, yes it’s gonna produce some light but they also do need lignt even if it’s not a lot, it’s just not a good idea to put a whole bunch of bright leds in a rf enclosure because it’s a specie that lives in forest so mostly under the tree shadows so it may not feel safe when too bright.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
All tortoises need a variety of the foods recommended rather than just picking one and feeding that.
Mazuri is used as a supplement with fresh foods not as a main food.
If you post some pics of your enclosure and lamps, members with redfoots can help you ensure your tort stays happy and healthy.