hello tortoise lovers!!

katiehuggins

5 Year Member
Hello! My name is katie, and I am a 13 year old girl from the US, california, san diego. I am interested in animals EXTREMELY! I have 4 goldfish in a huge tank, hermit crabs, a bird, and a betta fish, so alot . But I have been researching tortoises in particualr for a while now. And, I am interested in Russian torts. Here is what I have to work with as a terrium, a 50 gallon sterillite bin, and I was thinking paper for the substare, of course shredded, but idk. I do not have a tortoise yet, but I came here to find out how to care for them, so mine will have a good life! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie, and welcome to the Forum!

A russian is a good starter tortoise, however, russians take a lot of space. I don't think a 50 gallon tub will be big enough. They wander over large areas searching for food (in the real world), and that is hard-wired into them. When confined in a smaller space they scratch and dig at the sides constantly.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Hello Katie a s welcome! I have a Russian tort, I've him for almost a year! They are a lot of fun but I second what Yvonne said. They really like to have a lot of space to explore. Do you have a safe enclosed area you could set him up outside? Plus natural sun is best thing for them!

As far as substrate goes, I would suggest coco coir or regular dirt/top soil (organic) or Relpti bark (orchid bark). You just have to spot clean it each day. They really like to dig and bury themselves too. Paper will get yucky :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Ditto on everything said. Paper is not good. They need a more natural substrate.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Welcome Katie! It is good to see someone as young as you wanting to get educated BEFORE you get into something, especially a tortoise that will be with you for the rest of your life! If you get a baby tort, the 50 gal will be fine for a good while. Paper is a bad idea because it is not clean and Russians can be, um, messy, real messy. Stick with more natural stuff. If your parents do not fertilize your yard, dirt from there would do just fine. Ask your Mom and Dad to help you build an outdoor garden if you get an adult tortoise. Russians really benefit from living outside! Good luck and keep us posted!