Hello there

DigitalArtDad

Location (City and/or State)
SAINT JOSEPH
20210703_110930.jpg20210702_184313.jpg20210624_193725.jpg

Hi all, I posted a couple more advanced questions I guess before I formally introduced myself so I figured I would take the time to do so.
I'm 33 and live in Missouri. I've always been fascinated with reptiles but have discovered recently I'm very passionate about tortoises in particular. After a lot of research I bought a eastern Hermann last year for my 2 boys as a family pet. He recently got upgraded to the Nintendo switch color enclouse as he stays in their room. After what I felt was a successful year of raising them and completely falling in love with the little one I decided to dive in and get some breeds that I've always had my eyes on. Cherryhead, egyptian, and radiated.

I plan on upgrading all of these guys to t5 ho bulbs soon but if anyone has any advice on my enclosures I'm more than happy to hear criticism.

I've mentioned this in my other threads but my long term goal as a keeper is to breed the egyptian and radiated in the name of conservation. I wanted to raise hatchlings first to ensure I can give them the proper care and husbandry these amazing creatures deserve before I did anything else. I was fortunate enough to get the radiated as a gift from an amazing breeder that happens to be on these forums but I won't shout them out so they don't get a bunch of people asking for hand outs. That being said there doesn't seem to be many breeders in Missouri and I enjoy networking and getting advice from people close to me so if you know any in my area feel free to tag them if you want.

Also just wanted to say thanks to the people running these forums as I've found more helpful information here than anywhere else.

Thanks!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Welcome to the forum!

Are all of your torts each in his/her own enclosure? That's the way it needs to be, as different species should never be housed together. Also, pairs don't work; groups can work out, but never pairs.

I noticed you are planning to upgrade to T5 HO tube fluorescents...the sooner that's done, the better for your tortoises. The bulbs you are using now...are they merc vapor bulbs, or are they pet store "spot basking bulbs"? Either way, watch for any eye irritation. If any shows up, turn off the basking bulb and don't use it any more. This applies to basking bulbs that have UVB in them.

I'm not really up to date on Egyptians and Radiated, but I think this care sheet covers all but the Cherryhead.

Here is one for the Cherryhead...

Here is additional excellent info on the Hermann's...

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
Thank you for all this information. I've actually already poured over a lot of it before purchasing them but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Yes they are all housed separately and have never made contact with each other and never will.

I am using MVB so the they get UVB but I also take them outside as much as possible, which is a lot right now as the weather is nice. I forgot to mention I built a small enclosure outside that I sometimes let the Hermann stay in as long as the weather permits. He's still young and with the heat waves recently he doesn't get as much time as I would like but he's spent a few days at a time out there with me nervously checking up on him constantly lol.

I only have 1 of each breed so the pairs isn't an issue until further down the road when I attempt breeding them. I plan to have large enough enclosures for groups as well as extra back up enclosures for the grumpy ones that don't get along with others.

I'm glad you mentioned all of this there is a turtle/tortoise rescue in my small town area that doesn't follow these guidelines and it's been hard biting my tongue. Not only that they ask for donations for personal pets without making it clear they're in fact pets and not rescues. Probably worst of all I've seen them put a wild box turtle someone brought to them in with their group of box turtles, and without quarantining.. so many things wrong with that sentence. Anyway I'm ranting sorry lol. Thank you for the information

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
As long as you can get them safely outside for an hour once or twice a week, you won't need indoor UVB.

When winter comes, then you can turn it on for 2-3 hours a day, in mid day.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
What a fun little family :) It's obvious by the pictures that you've done research.

I wanted to add that the red foot enclosure should be covered. To help grow a smooth shell, they need it ridiculously humid through the whole habitat. Aim for 80%+. You can easily solve that problem by buying/making a portable greenhouse to plop over the tub.

I'm glad you mentioned all of this there is a turtle/tortoise rescue in my small town area that doesn't follow these guidelines and it's been hard biting my tongue. Not only that they ask for donations for personal pets without making it clear they're in fact pets and not rescues. Probably worst of all I've seen them put a wild box turtle someone brought to them in with their group of box turtles, and without quarantining.. so many things wrong with that sentence. Anyway I'm ranting sorry lol. Thank you for the information

That stinks. Try to have faith, usually these private rescues drop off the map after a few years. You can always suggest for them to join us here ?

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
What a fun little family :) It's obvious by the pictures that you've done research.

I wanted to add that the red foot enclosure should be covered. To help grow a smooth shell, they need it ridiculously humid through the whole habitat. Aim for 80%+. You can easily solve that problem by buying/making a portable greenhouse to plop over the tub.

That stinks. Try to have faith, usually these private rescues drop off the map after a few years. You can always suggest for them to join us here ?
Thanks for the kind words, I've definitely researched a lot and continue to do so. It's hard to tell in the pics but the redfoot and radiated tubs are sitting in a home-made greenhouse. I used pvc pipes and plastic sheets to throw it all together. Of course its just temporary for while they're young. I have a fogger that's on a timer and goes off in the mornings but it mainly just hits the redfoot since they require more humidity.
As far as the rescue goes they have done some good work and found new homes for sulcatas so I've held my tongue and try to be friendly with them lol