Hello new and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie333

5 Year Member
Just bought a baby turtle well actually I'll think of it as rescued in fro
NY and stumbled upon a turtle in a 99 cent store and felt so bad that he was in a tiny tank that I bought him for 6 bucks and got him a bigger tank in hopes of giving him a better life! After research online I've come to the conclusion that it's a yellow belly slider but am a bit confused on whether it can possibly be a cooter he's about 3-4 inches his/her name is Charlie please help me and if possible give me advice on care I'm a first time owner and would like to provide it with the best are possible ! Thanks in advance :)

P.s I want to post pics for easier identification but am unsure on how to do that

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi katie333:

Welcome to the Forum!!

$6 in the 99cent store??? Don't they know that all items in the store are supposed to be 99cents?

Well, let's see...a turtle needs a dock or landing where he can climb out of the water and warm up under the light. Water turtles can only swallow their food under water. Babies eat more live food than plant material. Most water turtles take the same care, so it really doesn't matter if its a cooter or a slider.

Here's a link to posting pictures using photobucket:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-to-post-pictures-in-your-forum-posts--5245#axzz1z8dDIN2w

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
emysemys said:
Hi katie333:

Welcome to the Forum!!

$6 in the 99cent store??? Don't they know that all items in the store are supposed to be 99cents?

HAHA!! I say this every time I go in there and find something over 99 cents XD

Hello and welcome Katy! It's fantastic you want to give this turtle such good care! :D kudos for making the right decision on joining us nutty folks on here!! ;P I don't know much about water turtles, but there will be more people to give you advice here soon ;) I just wanted to give you a nice warm welcome and congratulate you on saving the little guy! :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and yup, we LOVE PICS.....Yvonne covered the need to's....:D oh, also you will likely need a water heater to maintain the water warmth at a constant.... :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Hope you can master the photo bucket pic posting site, I haven't been able to yet. Can wait to see pics

katie333

5 Year Member
Thank for the warm welcome all !

I'm going to try to post pics of him in the tank I took so many! Lol and as far As the 99 cent store best 6 bucks I ever spent! I have a basking Are and a UVB and UVA light bulb for him during the day and a heat lamp at night going to buy a heater once I raise the water level higher it's at about 4 -5 inches half a gallon of Poland spring water he sleeps holding on the artificial plant I placed in the tank. I feed him pellets fruit and occasionally shrimp every once a day. Should I fee more I'm afraid of over feeding. Also can I feed him live fish yet ? I feel like he's soo tiny!

katie333

5 Year Member
I just learned how to make an album but cannot do it from my iPhone will upload pics over the weekend :)

katie333

5 Year Member
katie3335
[/URL][/img]

Attachments

• 553806_411202268918029_66716583_n.jpg
    553806_411202268918029_66716583_n.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4

katie333

5 Year Member
photo (2).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (2).JPG

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    693.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    777.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    912.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

katie333

5 Year Member
Not sure if you guys are able to see the pictures from the previous post but here are the url and img links to photobucket! This is Charlie my baby !! =]

photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.