Hello I'm New

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your tort's beak is overgrown. I would advise a visit t the vet to get that filed asap.

Putting your tort's food on a piece of flat slate, rock or tile will help to wear the beak down and keep it good shape after that. Your tort may also enjoy chewing on a piece of cuttle bone (from the bird section of a pet store) which will also help - not all tortoises will chew them though!

Reactions: Rue

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
Thanks. I thought it was overgrown. We'll get him booked into the vets next week when we're off for a file :)

He already has slate that he eats from but I'll try the cuttle bone

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
His nails also look a little long. You can cut those at home with a nail clipper though. Just make sure you dont cut the quick. Very painful and they will bleed (not trying to scare you).
But if you raise the arm/leg to the sun, you'll see the darkness of the quick and the translucent of the nail. I cut my russian tortoises nails with nail clippers a couple months ago. If you want to be safe, just cut a little of the tip off. The slate should also help with keeping the nails down :)

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
Oh ok thanks. I'll leave that to someone else to do, I hate cutting animals nails and he's not the most cooperative of torts haha

I've got him booked into the vets for Tuesday morning so I will see if they can add on a nail clipping as well as beak filing - thanks for all the help :)

Last edited:

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Oh ok thanks. I'll leave that to someone else to do, I hate cutting animals nails and he's not the most cooperative of torts haha

I've got him booked into the vets for Tuesday morning so I will see if they can add on a nail clipping as well as beak fling - thanks for all the help :)
I understand ! I had my sister help hold one of them and the other I held between my knees. It took some time since they move their legs around but after each "storm" and they took a couple seconds to rest those legs, i clipped one nail and waited til the next calming to cut another.
They should be able to clip the nails and beak with the same tool so i dont see why not. Post pictures of the new and improved :)

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
He's like a spider on a hot plate - his legs and head never stop moving lol

Yes I will. Just on the phone to the vets now to ask them to add on the nail clipping :)

Really appreciate all this help guys x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a start, but the beak is still too long. It needs to be clipped all the way around, not just the front. Here's a picture of what a normal beak looks like:

725685626-greek-tortoise-dagestan-state-nature-reserve-wild-russia:-caucasus-head-anatomy.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I thought this as a first clipping was good? I remember someone had said something about clipping too much of an overgrown beak at once can be painful for the tortoise? Please correct me if i'm wrong