Hello! I'm new here, and I'd like some help.

Andgar

Location (City and/or State)
México
Hi, I found this forum while I was searching for help.
I'm from Mexico, and I have 2 Gopherus tortoises at home. One of them was attacked by my neighbor's dog, and he has lost some his fronts legs scales. I've been treating him with some antibiotic and a spray that supposedly helps cicatrize. But I'm afraid that he won't regenerate his scales again. Do you something about this? Do scales regenerate?

Thank you very much for your help.

IMG_20190529_185828.jpg

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Ouch, that looks painful :(

Keep him in a enclosure or tub with a paper towel or blanket bedding, sand or bark substrates could irritate that flesh and it will be easier to keep clean than substrate. The wound will heal but I doubt the leg will look the same again. Is he eating and drinking? Keep him warm and hydrated but becareful with heat directly on the leg as it can burn.

Andgar

México

Keep him in a enclosure or tub with a paper towel or blanket bedding, sand or bark substrates could irritate that flesh and it will be easier to keep clean than substrate. The wound will heal but I doubt the leg will look the same again. Is he eating and drinking? Keep him warm and hydrated but becareful with heat directly on the leg as it can burn.

Yes, he's eating normally and he doesn't drink that much. I have him isolated with a paper towel, and I took him out some time daily so he can have some sun and fresh air and I stay with him for a while.
Thanks so much for your reply!

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Yes, he's eating normally and he doesn't drink that much. I have him isolated with a paper towel, and I took him out some time daily so he can have some sun and fresh air and I stay with him for a while.
Thanks so much for your reply!
Try putting him in room temp water to see if he drinks for about 15 minutes , I say room temp because that flesh will be sensitive to hot or warm water. So put him in a container he can't walk out of and fill it up until under his chin. Apply the creams after because they can wash off into the water.

Andgar

México
Try putting him in room temp water to see if he drinks for about 15 minutes , I say room temp because that flesh will be sensitive to hot or warm water. So put him in a container he can't walk out of and fill it up until under his chin. Apply the creams after because they can wash off into the water.
OK, I'll try that, I'll put him in a small container so can fill it up with water. I'll let you know if he drinks. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt the scales will grow back, however, the wound will heal and callus over. Two main things to be careful of: infection and fly eggs.