hello from texas

cvasta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
texas
hello all. i have recently just purchased a Sulcata Tortoise and cant wait for him to get for him/her to get here. thanks to all the info that i have been able to get off this site i have got everything ready to go as soon as it arrives. look forward to learning as much as i can about these guys.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi there...and welcome to the Forum!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Welcome! Looking forward to following your sulcata adventures! Don't forget to share photos. And you'll probably get lots and lots of advice, even when not requested, but it all comes from caring tortoise owners and we are all learning together, so just take everything at face value and implement what you like. It will lead to a healthy happy tortoise and help others here at the same time. Sorry for the long ramble. Shutting up now lol

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
How fun!

Did you get a hatchling? I bought mine from Tom (above). Here is Franklin's thread....
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-81177-page-1.html

Please, post pictures of your enclosure, and well pick it apart. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] (just teasing, because sometimes it sure feels like we work hard, then post a pic and everyone tells you everything you did wrong...but please understand, most of us here are advocates for the animal, not the humans, and many have learned the hard way, sometimes with tragic results. Everyone means well, just often it comes across harshly in typed words).

I'm so excited for you! And I can't wait for the introduction when it arrives. [GROWING HEART]

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
Thank you all for the welcomes. I bought a hatchling and he should arrive on Tuesday morning. I purchased him from The Turtle Source. As I spent about two weeks going thru this forum as well as others to find a reputable breeder. I have chosen to register with this forum because you all seem really nice and willing to help unlike other forums or places and you guys seem to know what you are doing. I will post pics of the setup as soon as I get it all together and I will post pics as soon as he arrives Tuesday morning.

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
i have my enclosure just about set up. i am using a mixture of coco coir, sphagnum peat moss, and cypress mulch. the biggest question i have is do i need to have a small water bowl in there for s/he to have access to something to drink when needed. i as because i am getting mixed reviews on that as i read thru. i would like to see what you all think about it. I will post some picks as soon as i get home from work this morning so that i can get your opinions on how i have everything set up.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
You should absolutely have a low lip shallow bowl of clean water available. They may or may not use it, but it should be there for the option to be available.
A lot of people will recommend the terra cotta plant plates, they work well and won't cause a flipping hazard when sunk into your substrate. I personally use a large reptile dish I purchased before I found TFO and heard about the plates.
Hope you had fun setting up the enclosure. It's fun working on them and getting it interesting for your tort isn't it? Look forward to seeing your pics.

rsmith22566

5 Year Member
Which part of Texas? I am in Rockwall, close to Dallas.

Welcome and enjoy your new sulcata. We have had ours for 17 years and love her!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome, to TFO. I'm from Texas to the Houston area.

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
I live in dripping springs just west of Austin and thank you for the welcomes.

Cynthia

5 Year Member
Welcome! I'm from the mainland off of Galveston Island, Texas.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Moved to Mississippi from Waco. Grew up in ft Worth most of my life welcome

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
mtdavis254817 said:
Moved to Mississippi from Waco. Grew up in ft Worth most of my life welcome

I grew up in Arlington. I moved to the Austin area about four years ago.