hello from sumatra, indonesia

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuketank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia
Hi, just a shout and introduce myself. I'm Steven from Medan, North Sumatra of Indonesia (the island where the tsunami hits in 2004). Anyway here are my tortoise sulcata and turtles. I am originally into turtles owning a few. As such:
1x Alligator Snapping Turtle (sub-adult around 30 cm)
1x Common Snapping Turtle (around 35 cm)
1x Matamata Turtle (around 17 cm)
2x Chinemys
2x Yellow Belly Slider Turtle
2x Mississipi Map Turtle
2x Asia Leaf Turtle
and last but not least my new collection a Sulcata Tortoise.

photo3.jpg

photo6-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 7
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 6

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Steven and welcome to the forum. You do have some nice animals, just wondering how you are keeping you Sulcata, he has started to pyramid a little and it's something that can be stopped.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steven:

Welcome to the forum!!

That mata mata turtle is AWESOME!!

If you are keeping the baby sulcata indoors, he will benefit from having a more moist substrate. Your climate is probably very humid, which is what he needs for a smooth shell.

We're very happy to have you here on the forum with us, and thanks for sharing your pictures! :)

nuketank

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
Hello Steven and welcome to the forum. You do have some nice animals, just wondering how you are keeping you Sulcata, he has started to pyramid a little and it's something that can be stopped.

Yeah I realised that also, just wondering how this can be stopped then? As per other user that recommend humidity I did let him roam around in my indoor garden a few days after I got him (caging at night). But then he developed the flu which I thought may due to him roaming around in a pretty moist/wet garden. Any recommendations? Particularly food wise if possible. Thanks...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
nuketank said:
dalano73 said:

Yeah I realised that also, just wondering how this can be stopped then? As per other user that recommend humidity I did let him roam around in my indoor garden a few days after I got him (caging at night). But then he developed the flu which I thought may due to him roaming around in a pretty moist/wet garden. Any recommendations? Particularly food wise if possible. Thanks...

This is a good place to start looking at what he can eat.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1NqW5Vjml

I am not sure what is available in your area, if you can give him cactus, that is a great food and it provides calcium. It also okay to have a wet garden but they need a place to relax that is a little dry, maybe a flat rock or stone.

What kind of fish are you feeding your turtle?

nuketank

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Great pictures. Have you ever seen a Sumatran Rhino, maybe at a local zoo?

Can't say I have unfortunately. Local zoo here is not really a zoo but a private pet collections of a very wealthy businessman. But a Sumatran Rhino i believe is not amongst the exhibit.

dalano73 said:
What kind of fish are you feeding your turtle?

They are nile tilapias, or we call it the local cichlids. These fishes are largely available even for human consumption (the larger ones).

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Okay cool, I thought it look familiar, we have 4 cichlids we keep as pets the color of ours is a little different but looks the same.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :) You have a beautiful shelled family, thanks for sharing their pics with us :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
WOW YOUR MATA MATA IS SUCH A NICE EDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION,anyway welcome,i love being able to talk to people from around the world,WELCOME FROM SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA........!!!!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
yagyujubei said:
Great pictures. Have you ever seen a Sumatran Rhino, maybe at a local zoo?

Nice question! I worked with Emi (Cincinnati Zoo) when she was a youngster in L.A. Definitely among my most favorite animals;)

Status
Not open for further replies.