Hello from Spain

Sharon Wood

Thank you very much for adding me to the forums.

We have a Russian tortoise, who actually adopted us. He came wandering up our driveway a few weeks ago. We checked with our neighbours, with the local vets and also put up some posters, but he was never claimed. Our vet asked if we were able to keep him, as they had nowhere for him to go. So, we are now the proud owners of Floyd.

We live on the Costa Blanca coast in Spain and our climate means he is able to be outside in an enclosure all the time. It has been a steep learning curve, but worth every minute.

DSC_0266.JPG DSC_0294.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sharon, and welcome to the Forum!

It's good that you can keep him outside, because judging from the condition of his shell, he has been kept indoors and fed a poor diet for quite a long time.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Sharon,
I too have been adopted by a poor lost leopard tort. I was only supposed to be looking after him for a short while but he quickly got under my skin and 10 months all he is still here and much loved.
It certainly is a steep learning curve but this is a great forum with lots off help and advice to keep Floyd happy and healthy. Have you found the caresheet for Russians yet? That will help you get all the right things in place for him. The Enclosures section and Beginners Mistakes are also good and another website www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will help ID plants that are safe to feed. I look forward to hearing more about Floyd and welcome to you both.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome! I also received my tortoise rather unexpectedly but I absolutely love having her, she's really grown on me! Definitely check out the russian care sheet we have in the russian section of this forum and look around the site Lyn W linked regarding plants that are safe to feed for your tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Missed your intro as I was on holiday in Spain!.
A very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Sharon and your new tortoise.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome :)